Library Revamp Beta Testing
  • Hey there! I'm going back and redoing the whole library to make each module more condensed (more modules on screen for iPhone/iPad) as well as adding some new functionality and visuals. Please have a look at this beta version and tell me what you think.

Looking for specifically:

-Fun uses for trig functions (other than making LFOs)
    -Wishlist modules (not feature requests)
    -What you like doing most with Audulus

Signals that are gates/clocks are marked with a light, signals that alternate between -1 and 1 are blue/red lights. Play around with this beta rebuild I made today and tell me what you think - comments, suggestions, improvements, etc.

Everything is supposed to work within the -1 to 1 range (hence the sum also divides by 2 to keep within range). DS=DC (it's not really a current, it's a signal), AS=AC.

The generators are test oscillators, btw. Also, with the new preset function, it will save-state (yes, I know, it clears out when you reload it, but it won't in the future).
    All Modules BETA.audulus
    2M
  • All Modules BETA.audulus
    2M
    Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 2.23.25 AM.png
    1920 x 1080 - 494K
  • Hello,

Am I the first one?
  • Only to comment... Ehehe I'm downloading the latest version now.

My approach to audulus has been made until now with an experimental though , on fusing the signal from my guitar and recording or even from some synth's like sp pro ...
    I know that there are tons of apps with tons of effects , but controlling my sound with audulus gives me the freedom and customization I cannot find anywhere else ....
    Occasionally I just fuse modules and put some mic in to toy up with it...

I'm trying to make some kind of auto wah-way pedal pedal effect ...so that would be something i want to add to the wish list .

• Some comments:

- I really like the multiplier buttons on the Downsample, Clk and osc nodes. That makes the 0-1 standardization make a lot more sense for general use.
    - On my iPad Air, a Noise + Downsample + Master Output patch takes about 6% CPU, while the more custom Noise + (Osc->S&H) + Master Output equivalent takes about 2%. I would anticipate this being more of a problem in larger patches, but I guess you could optimize as needed, while getting the benefit of speedy patch assembly.
    - BPM Clock is a great basic patch, I think. Any thoughts on a midi sync clock? :) Or perhaps audio click sync clock?
    - I think I'm missing something about the DS/AS stuff.. why just +/- 0.5? Why not also */ 2? Is it not to get from -1:1 to 0:1?
    - The LEDs in the input/output circles are a nice touch.

Haven't had a chance to play with the rest, but will see if I can tinker. Getting into a hardware modular mindset is probably a good idea, since I usually think as a software guy.
  • - I really like the multiplier buttons on the Downsample, Clk and osc nodes. That makes the 0-1 standardization make a lot more sense for general use.

Thanks! Like I mentioned, they get cleared out when you reopen a patch, but this won't be an issue soon with the preset save-states.

- On my iPad Air, a Noise + Downsample + Master Output patch takes about 6% CPU, while the more custom Noise + (Osc->S&H) + Master Output equivalent takes about 2%. I would anticipate this being more of a problem in larger patches, but I guess you could optimize as needed, while getting the benefit of speedy patch assembly.

This is because of the math that runs the lights (2 half-wave rectifiers per light). Perhaps I should make a stripped down version of the library too without the lights for the CPU thrifty?

- BPM Clock is a great basic patch, I think. Any thoughts on a midi sync clock? :) Or perhaps audio click sync clock?

@ToyDivision came up with the BPM Clock, so credit to him. MIDI sync is easy to do - you need to make a "clock track" in whatever DAW you're using and draw notes in at regular intervals and then draw just the gate signal from that channel off the keyboard. I don't know what you mean by audio click sync clock though - is this something you could do with a zero cross?

- I think I'm missing something about the DS/AS stuff.. why just +/- 0.5? Why not also */ 2? Is it not to get from -1:1 to 0:1?

Yeah *smacks forehead* forgot about that, thanks hah!

- The LEDs in the input/output circles are a nice touch.

Thanks!

@cassote an Auto Wah is very easy to do - you send your signal through a filter and use an envelope follower to control the frequency sweep range. Maybe I'll make a 2-minute tip on it later today. For now, check this out: http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/ecftech/ecftech.htm (remember, if you want to see how to recreate any effect in Audulus search "[effect or synthesis technique you want to recreate] block diagram" in quotes. Audulus is basically like working with block diagrams (idea flow charts for electronics).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_diagram
  • @biminiroad The stripped down version might make sense, but in all honesty, if performance were an issue I'd find the hotspots and address them individually. In this case, just replace the downsample.

Keep das Blinkenlights! ;)
  • @jjthrash - thanks - I haven't even wired up a sound patch with this yet, but i imagine a big modular patch will be hypnotizing! Especially check out the 8x7v mixer (the V's are short for "down" not v). It's a cascading mixer that incrementally divides the signals the more you add - you just pull a wire from in between the last two added (top to bottom) and that should always be somewhere between -1 and 1
  • I've been kinda busy and I'm I other kind of studies for the next weeks (couple of exams by the end of the month) , so , for me it's just small tweaks and a bit of guitar every day ... But I share to give a go on the documentation you lead me onto. Many thanks
  • Here goes latest experiment with only a very fast test....
    auto wah.audulus
    2M
  • lol @cassote you're carlos then? i just showed you your own creation, i hope you learned a lot from it
  • Of course , mate .... Trial and error and some guidance is probably the best way around this kind of creations ... I appreciate The good feedback and ideas , always !

Edit : have you tried the latest design?
  • Here's the latest Beta - a few new modules:

Flipflop: use the knob to navigate and button to flipflop, then address the input with a clock and watch them all flipflop at once!

Clk/: A timer-based clock divider

Fixed AS/DS converters (thanks @jjthrash)
    All Modules BETA.audulus
    3M
  • Love the idea of the BPM clock!

How hard would it be to add in an expression field, so that that I could both dial the knob for a new value, and click to set a specific number?
  • @Luche - the BPM clock was all @ToyDivision I believe? anyway it was an obvious add that i smacked my head when I saw them do it.

Can you be a little more specific about what you're requesting? It sounds like what you want is already on the x1 x10, etc multipliers, no?
  • Few more added
    All Modules BETA.audulus
    3M
  • Hmm, i'm not sure... sorry still wrapping my brain around Audulus :)

Outside the sub-patch, you've got a knob, button, and value for BPM. Ideally I'd like to have this knob to always dial in, but i'd also love to simply click somewhere in the outer patch and simply choose a BPM value (think like double clicking and getting the 'set expression' value box - so I can jump back to a specific value very easily. I like being able to speed up/slow down with the knob, but it's tough to get a specific value (e.g. 120bpm)... get what i'm saying?
  • @luche - here ya go - just click on the knob and set the value directly
    BPM Clock for Luche.audulus
  • @luche - thanks for the suggestion by the way, that makes more sense than the way i had it - if you want to modulate a clock signal, you can just use the other clocks - this will probably be one of the very few ones where a knob isn't 0-1
  • Last one of the night! Added a phasing clock delay. Will break these apart by genre soon, I know your iPads and iPhones are probably hurting.
    All Modules BETA.audulus
    3M
  • Just tested, works great... thanks for the quick follow up @biminiroad!
  • yes. fantastic.
  • @biminiroad Just tried out the latest.

Help me understand the toggleable ADSR thing. Is the goal to be able to use the ADSR as a AD, ASR, etc?

Also, the P(x|y) looks like "The probability of X given Y" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditional_probability). But the patch looks like a set of downsampled random values. Definitely useful, but maybe the name could be different. Unless I'm misunderstanding its intent. :)

I Really Like the LPF and HPF nodes. The toggle from exp to lin will make so many things better.

I don't think I understand Smooth Touch. It lets you record a trigger loop of some kind? Does that work well? I tried making a loop with audio, but it ended up having artifacts when feeding back over time. I guess with control rate signals it probably wouldn't do that.

Also, it doesn't look like it works on OSX. Actually, a number of things haven't worked, e.g. the fractal generator from the other thread didn't do anything. The trigger in the scalable oscillators doesn't do anything, so that may be a bug on the OSX side. (@Taylor?)
  • 1 - the toggle ADSR multiplies the 1 value by 10 - it's for pads, or long sustains mostly.

2- yeah, math ain't my strong point, lol - i was thinking the phrase "the probability of on (x) given y (the chance)" - anywhere i can swap math for a name (especially an abbreviated one) is appreciated since that makes it more international.

3- thank you! i realized that i was jamming mostly in the 200-1000 range when i was using filters, and i was like hmm, maybe we can just switch it up! I think electrically most filters have an exponential pot for the frequency control anyway, but it makes sense to have the filter node be linear.

4 - Smooth Touch is the Touch Feedback Clock with a Slew limiter added. It allows you to dial in rhythms really quickly. They are not easily reproducible, but you can get some wild clock/gates with it. The slew limiter I added for controlling parameters that you don't want either on/off. It is not meant to record audio.

5 - It does work on OSX, but evidently not your OSX - maybe it's got something to do with me using beta? Anyway, PM me with your About This Mac and we can start to get down to this. I created this library on my computer, so it definitely works. Also, you can't @ people with punctuation after their name (notice how it's not linked like @Taylor is?)

Thanks for your input!
  • Say you guys , how about any new library's ?any news on the line?!
  • Going to work on it a bunch tomorrow :) Also going to pick a random winner tonight from the people who've helped me, will dole out the rest of Modstep codes before too long too :)
  • So , who's the lucky winner ? Eheh
  • I'm going to pick the winners later today actually :) - if you're reading this, it's your last chance to download the beta and give some feedback for a chance to win a copy of Modstep! Most of the rest of the library upgrades at this point will be cosmetic, so I won't need so much user input to put the rest of it together.
  • Winners are...well, everyone who posted feedback here because I had 5 codes and only 4 people actually gave me feedback! Enjoy your modstep!
  • Breaking them apart into individual modules now - have some neat wave monitors that are good for testing that you may enjoy - especially the Monoctawave and Duoctawave.

If you had trouble opening the whole big beta file, these individual ones will be easy. Also, make sure you check out the metadata - I added a lot more info in there than the current library has.

More coming soon!

Smooth Touch Clk.audulus
    Clock.audulus
    BPM Clock.audulus
    Blank ASDS.audulus
    Blank DGS.audulus
    Tri Gen.audulus
    Sw Gen.audulus
    Sq Gen.audulus
    Sin Gen.audulus
    Octawave.audulus
    Quadrawave.audulus
    Monoctawave.audulus
    Duoctawave.audulus
  • I have an idea for a new effect I have not found nor I cannot reproduce .... A delay effect ! But not an ordinary one ....
    I want it to output a normal delayed sound , plus a reversed output.... You can't find an example of this in guitar solo of Cornerstone of Arctic Monkeys ... Give it a check

(This me be a good 2min tutorial too )

Ps: many many thanks on the code !you guys are awsome
  • Here's a patch made with the smooth touch clock module and a couple of Xoki StrModel string pluck modules and a track created with the patch run through Bias FX on an iPad.

https://soundcloud.com/plu-collective/into-it
    pluck tclk.audulus
  • Delta = pulse if change from sample to sample.
    Cascading Squares = Input squared in a "waterfall" orientation. Threshold control for gate trigger.

Hook up a sine wave to a Cascading Squares module and then take those 8 outputs to the Octawave and sit back and marvel at mathematics.
    Cascading Squares.audulus
    Delta.audulus
  • @Paulinko - sounds awesome man! Thanks for sharing that.
  • @drewyeah

Oh, whoops, yes - it is in the update, and yes it probably doesn't work for you guys, sorry!

!= you're right is a new operand that means "does not equal"
  • Here's some more - make sure you check out the flipflop sequencer and the AD trigger, think you'll enjoy those :) The rest are kinda "basic utility" ones
    Flipflop Sequencer.audulus
    Downsample.audulus
    Attenuator.audulus
    Random.audulus
    Abs Value.audulus
    Modulo.audulus
    Square Root.audulus
    DGS Probability.audulus
    -AS.audulus
    -DGS.audulus
    -DS.audulus
    AS2DGS.audulus
    AS2DS.audulus
    DS2AS.audulus
    DS2DGS.audulus
    Microphone.audulus
    AD Trigger.audulus
  • AD Trigger.audulus
    AD Trigger.png
    500 x 281 - 112K
    Normalized Input.png
    500 x 281 - 129K
  • Here's a drum module that uses Karplus-Strong Synthesis: I call it the K!SS

Believe it or not, the only controls are Filter Hz and Resonance - the four stacked controls do most of the tone shaping, while the two others are a final output filter that is switchable between 12 and 24db.

This has got to be one of the most versatile synthesis techniques - I'm just in love with it. So many different sounds out of these controls!!! I've nailed a steel drum, realistic snares, hi hats, bass drum, claves, and weirder stuff (like whatever this patch is!).

It's super CPU efficient and tiny patch - the module alone is just 72kb.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karplus–Strong_string_synthesis
    K!SS Drum.audulus
    K!SS Drum Module.audulus
  • Very nice :)
    Looking forward to cracking this one open!
  • Thanks @Afta8!

Here are some sub-patch processing tools (many, many, many more to come)

Let me know if you have any requests - these are things I find myself making over and over again and putting in other designs.

DS = Direct Signal = Control Signal = 0 to 1
    AS = Alternating Signal = Audio = -1 to 1
    DGS = Digital Signal = Control Signal = 0 or 1

ASDS = Works for both AS and DS

Each file is preceded by the input signal required (output variable)

Some of them come with vertical/horizontal orientations - just delete the one you don't want for your purposes.
    DS Knob Exp.audulus
    DS Knob Exp Inverter.audulus
    DS Knob Inverter.audulus
    DS Knob Log.audulus
    DS Knob Log Inverter.audulus
    DS Knob Mux-Demux.audulus
    AS Light.audulus
    DGS Light Demux.audulus
    DGS Count Up.audulus
    DGS Flipflop.audulus
    Detector AS ==1.audulus
    Detector DS ==1.audulus
    ASDS Blank.audulus
    DGS Blank.audulus
    AS Inverter.audulus
    AS Limiter.audulus
    ASDS Exp-Log.audulus
    DGS Inverter.audulus
    DGS Quad Tap Exp-Log.audulus
    DS Inverter.audulus
    DS Limiter.audulus
    DGS Mux-Demux.audulus
    DS Mux-Demux.audulus
    Trigger Inverter.audulus
    Trigger Mux-Demux.audulus
    Trigger Quad Tap Exp:Log.audulus
  • Re: the kiss drum, karplus strong uses feedback delay lines, often with a low pass in the feedback loop for decaying harmonics as the delay line rings out. What you have here appears more like modal synthesis where resonant filters ring out in various harmonics. Both very useful physical modeling techniques, I will be sending some files to the slack for consideration that make core modules to easily physical model using both of these techniques.
  • Loving the FlipflopSequencer
  • @Thanks!

Although you're not seeing a delay line, there is nevertheless one there - all feedback loops in Audulus have a buffer delay in them. If you compare it to the Wikipedia article on K-S you'll notice it's exactly the same - the only thing that's different really is that I added a 12dB filter to the input noise and 12/24dB output filter to tame the squealies. Also, do you not see the LPF in the feedback loop? Look at it more closely :)
  • The delays in the feedbackDelay are on the order of a few samples, which equates to resonant filter territory. Karplus is based on a longer delay line that is the length of the actual oscillation in hertz. It ends up sounding more metallic. I'll post a link to this awesome book I have been reading on physical modeling to the slack. Here is a pic of the xoki string module that is karplus based.
    image.png
    2732 x 2048 - 258K
  • Modal synthesis and karplus are very similar and use the same ingredients in different proportions. Often they are even used together to create more robust physical models. It's like saying you made a piece of chocolate muffin rather then a chocolate fudge cake, both chocolate and delicious, but one is maybe more egg while the other is more flour.
  • @MacroMachines - Sounds good! Will check out the book.

However...I don't see anywhere that says K-S has a minimal sample delay - wherever I look, it's the same diagram that merely says "N samples." This seems like it could mean 1 sample as well. You are correct that you cannot get string sounds that people associate with K-S out of this module, but to counter your muffin/cake analogy, it sounds like you're arguing a square isn't a rectangle because a square is not what we usually think of when we think "rectangle." And so, I remain unconvinced that I'm mistaken in calling this K-S synthesis, and we can just leave it at that :)
  • @biminiroad, if I understand it correct your Kiss drum is using a static delay time (ie. that built into feedback delays).. This means you can't change the pitch unless you use the resonant ringing of the filters right?