HOW TO THINK IN AUDULUS Tutorial Series UPDATED (Dec 18)
  • The first three tutorials are included in-app. This is the 4th.
    4-The RGB Node Part 1.audulus
  • That's a great addition for the library. Cheers.
  • @thinds thanks! These will come on the new version, just uploading it here between updates. About to drop a bunch of new modules tonight.
  • Thank you for all this new study material. It helps. A lot.
  • Excellent and thank you bimini.
  • Excellent - thanks!
  • This is a mini tutorial on how to sync Audulus with your DAW - I believe this works on iOS as well (I mean, I can't see why it wouldn't), but do not have time to test it right now - can an iOS user confirm? This is different than the DAW Time node, and much easier and more flexible. Does anyone even use the DAW time node/module? Just curious.

Enjoy.
    Syncing Audulus with a DAW.audulus
  • This is a new tutorial called "Fundamentals in Detail (Part 1)" Pretty self explanatory. Enjoy!

[rev 1 available below]
  • Rolling up my sleeves!!
  • Thanks for this, Mark! I've been reading all of these multiple times and it's slowly, slowly starting to make sense. So I hope I'm speaking for other beginners that we really appreciate them. I'm also loving those speed patching videos but it would also be cool to see a few "slow patching" videos where you explain what and why you're doing things in real time. Like building the basic synth in the modules video. Thanks again! Hope to get brave and put a patch up soon...
  • @biminiroad I was able to use the patch in a Cubasis MIDI track using Audulus as an IAA instrument and recorded using a count in with the Cubasis metronome and it all worked fine including bouncing the track to a wave form.
  • This is Rev 1 of "Fundamentals in Detail (Part 1)" - added a section that discusses the simplicity of the patch's signal flow. @HighTunnels @Chmelirm
    Fundamentals in Detail Pt 1 Rev 1.audulus
  • Worthwhile addition for sure! Learning....
  • After this last tutorial I can see that i was over complicating things by trying to match up with what I see elsewhere.
  • @Minermike61 - that was my bad - in some ways I've lost the perspective of a beginner in Audulus, so it's nice to know when I'm "coming on too strong" so-to-speak.

For the newbies out there - do you feel like you need some more info in between tutorial 2 and tutorial 3? (In-App) There's a lot *visually* going on in that patch, but really, not much as far as signal flow goes. It's called "bare bones" for a reason :).

The most important thing you can know when approaching the tutorials I write is to read everything and follow the signal flows carefully and methodically. Also, don't be afraid to pull up meters and test signals at certain points (I may just include them after every module by default in future).

All the feedback everyone has been giving has been *invaluable* so thank you for taking the time to share it :)
  • @bimini - Your efforts are greatly appreciated. Just needed to say that.
  • I'm a new user and thought it may be helpful to share some thoughts here regarding the tutorials:

I have to say that I don't find them to be very intuitive. I do use Max/MSP so I suppose i'm not a total dunce, but i'm still having a hard time really getting into Audulus for various reasons. I've been looking at the tutorials and reference but I'm often left with more questions than answers.

It would be much better if the tutorials were broken up into smaller individual concepts that are named clearly so you easily go back to them to quickly review some specific concept or other. From a pedagogical perspective it is ALWAYS better to have things separated into smaller clearly defined chunks rather than having a lot of info dumped into one tutorial patch. I don't think the idea of "getting a total beginner up to speed in 20mins" should be a realistic goal for a program like this. Even if you can go through the patches in 20 mins, the average beginner will probably not fully absorb most of those things.

For example: A dedicated tutorial on using MIDI keyboards, both externally and internally would be a great. While the keyboard module on the app is fairly straight forward, I still can't figure out how/if I can play notes into Audulus on the Mac version or use an external midi controller. Having a basic tutorial breaking down what can and can't be done would be super helpful if only to establish whether i'm missing something or if it can't be done yet. Keeping it super simple is a good thing and it may fill any gaps that the reference has. For example: The reference entry for the keyboard module doesn't even mention that you can change modes by clicking on the label, which is something I only figured out by complete accident.

I'd also love to see a tutorial on polyphony, as well as polyphonic signals and how Audulus handles them differently than something like Max or Reaktor (as a side note I think that there really needs to be a better way of distinguishing polyphonic cables from regular ones... making them slightly thicker is not really clear at all).

Of course all of this is just my humble opinion. I'm sure i'm missing some very obvious things so please point me in the right direction if so. Either way, it seems like a fantastic and deep program and I hope that it eventually clicks for me.
  • @esotericmetal thanks for the feedback!

How do you think we should indicate polyphony? We could style the nodes differently in addition to the thicker cables.
  • @esotericmetal Thanks for the suggestions - those are all things I've planned to do but have been on break. Just got back! Only had time pre-3.0 to make 3 tutorials, figured they were basic enough to get people going - found out too late I was wrong! hah.

This week more tutorials will be coming soon. :) Should be a daily thing soon.
  • @Taylor Maybe the cable itself could have a different style. Some kind of lengthwise striping (as opposed to the kind used in Max for MSP signals) so it looks like several cables bundled together. A different style for the nodes would be great but it may still be hard to immediately discern in complex patches how everything is connected.

@biminiroad No worries! It can't be an easy task. The actual information there itself is great. It could just be a little easier to digest. For a lot of people i'm sure it's more than enough to get started!
  • @esotericmetal - i like that idea for the cables! i forget poly is on sometimes too and i'm like wtf why no changing colors? oh yeah...*smacks forehead* i accidentally touched the keyboard node's poly option.

i'm just so right there with ya on the tutorials - i'm decompressing from travel today but tomorrow i plan to release at least 3 new tutorials - tell me, what are you dying to know about that i can help elucidate other than the midi keyboard stuff? (i have a KMI quneo that's sitting in the office waiting for me to plug in so i'm DEFINITELY going to do a controller how-to this week :))))))) ). i also plan to show you not only how to use the keyboard functionally, but also how to think about what the keyboard can be in a different sense than just playing notes! that's the "how to think in audulus" part - there needs to be those intro basic stuff but i always want to throw in a little "now that you know that, look at this" kinda angle. i will probably just trash the tutorials i have right now and start over - it's an evolving process, and as much feedback as possible is awesome. ultimately, i want them simple enough for middle schoolers to understand, because that's going to be my "goal" market - if middle schoolers can use and understand it, then everyone can.
  • @biminiroad I wouldn't look to middle schoolers as a lowest common denominator. They are frequently more open minded than adults and aren't burdened by a lifetime of learning which can interfere with how things are perceived or what their expectations are for how things work. Often documentation, as you've alluded to, needs to address the commonly used ways of doing things and then provide information about the other options Audulus can provide. Separating and dividing things up into smaller logically associated sections (modularize documentation) as @esotericmetal has suggested seems like a great idea to me.
  • Following the sentiment of the previous post. A physicist said it well. It goes something like this. If you can't explain it so that you're grandmother can understand it, then you don't understand it yourself. :-)
  • image.png
    2048 x 1536 - 439K
    image.png
    2048 x 1536 - 555K
    image.png
    2048 x 1536 - 402K
  • @biminiroad those look good and very useful.
  • How will this be distributed? Inside the app or on the documentation page or something? I think I can learn so much from this.
  • @Balph it's just a Google doc that I will share with the world - just waiting on @Taylor to give it the once over to make sure everything's correct and will release the first one. I will probably also make a video version with a voice over, but this is available for people who want to print it out or just want to skim it.
  • brilliant. looking forward to this.
  • @biminiroad Great, looking forward to the release :)
  • Hello! Just wanted to follow up on this? I couldn't find a google doc link pasted elsewhere