Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 6.13.41 AM.png
    1920 x 1080 - 356K
    Control Signal Interlacer.audulus
    Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 5.37.07 AM.png
    1920 x 1080 - 222K
    Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 6.18.46 AM.png
    1920 x 1080 - 465K
  • What a BEAST!

It does run on iPad Pro, but the CPU use is pretty high. Mac version recommended for this one.
  • Looks like 60% of the runtime is spent in the LED grid.
  • @biminiroad, you're a magician... Dark magic!
  • @ZenLizard thanks! :) you can get to this level too, just read up on electronics and understand how they work at a block diagram level (the flow of ideas in a circuit) and then you can start replicating those things in Audulus! :)
  • Nice! It's a sort of signal bus. I'm pretty sure this is what I've been looking for to make a Conway sequencer actually work. Can't wait to try it out.
  • Still trying to understand this skullduggery. In the "Control Signal Interfacer" the important part is this one? http://take.ms/OLTCo

Left channel is 0 to 7 over and over again, i.e. "which signal value is currently being emitted?"

Right channel is the actual signal value.

So to use the stream of data, you can:

- use one S&H node per control value
    - use the left channel to determine which S&H node to trigger
    - use the right channel to feed the (in) input of the S&H node

Using it this way would require mux/demuxes that support up to the number of control signals you want, right?

Thinking at a higher level (and mostly for my own purposes)..

The reason you are using this to drive fancy 3d-ish waveforms and 2d grids of LEDs is because there's no reason to interlace something and then just de-interlace it to control a synth. Rather, if you want to use some signals for more than one purpose, e.g. to drive a synth, but then visualize it somehow, it makes sense to make a single wire to output the visualization signal.

For the future, it makes sense to make my Conway 8x8 sequencer using something like this because if I interlace it correctly, the 8x8 pixel grid would actually be reusable! Rather than just ad-hoc for my code. It would also simplify the wiring of the Conway patch itself.

Interlacing the whole signal for the game of life would be cool, too, since that way I could actually just run a game of life irrespective of whether I'm using it as a sequencer or some sort of morphing set of synth parameters.

I really like this idea. So elegant!
  • OK, just to see if I really understood, I built a super minimal patch that does what @biminiroad's "Control Signal Interlacer" already does, but organized for explanatory purposes. It includes "interlace8" and "deinterlace8" subpatches, meant to be pretty easy to use. I'm going to try to use it to run my poly sequencer next.

I learned something today!
    JJT Try Interlace.audulus