Unit value guidance for noobs?
  • Me again!

So I just discovered this whole other world of scaling nodes, high-low value setting etc.

In trying to understand this, I found this: http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/122/help-file-value-added/p1

In that thread there is a link to a huge resource in which I cannot do a word search for key words.

Does anyone have any notes on the max/min values for the different types of nodes and WHY? I do not want to do this empirically like in the thread!

@taylor says he lists it in the help file, but I can only find a very simple version of that.
  • For most nodes, it follows this rule of thumb:

0->1 means 0% to 100%, or left to right
    -1->1 means some sort of audio waveform
    time related knobs are in seconds

So, e.g. on a crossfade node, the knob goes from 0 to 1. left/bottom input is 0%, right/top input is 100%, in between values mix appropriately.

The level node goes from 0 to 1. 0% volume to 100% volume. If you increase the max and then set the value higher than 100%, it increases the volume/gain. It's not a real amplifier.. it's dealing with digital values so it's just making the values bigger.

The constant node just spits out values, but it's 0 to 1 by default since that makes the most sense in most places.

The reverb node's mix knob goes from 0 to 1. 0% wet to 100% wet. Its decay node is a time value.

Same goes for delay, with the addition of feedback, which goes from 0 to 1, i.e. feed back 0% to 100% of the signal into the delay.

The weird ones are nodes like LowPass, which goes from 0 to 1, probably meaning cut off frequency 0% to 100% of 18KHz.

With the ADSR, A, D, and R are all time values, and S is a 0 to 1 percentage type value. (I just changed the max of S to greater than 1 and it worked! You can sustain at a value larger than 1x the amplitude of your signal.)

Does that help at all?
  • whaaaa? #gamechanger @jjthrash. I've been trying to think of a way to have an envelop with two different attack stages. Problem solved!
  • Ha, nice!
  • thanks @jjthrash. That is helpful - so it's not really that complicated at all... it's that for an output from seq 16 to an oscillater, I needed a scale of 1000 for the level to control pitch. It seemed a bit extreme to me.

I thought there was some kind of fixed programme logic that I was missing - glad to hear i'm not!
  • There are a number of ways you can get a Hz value from a seq16 into an oscillator. One is just to program each slot (Set Value) with the Hz value. You can also plug a Constant node into each port of the seq16, then set the Max of each of those to 10000 or something.

A few of us have built our own sequencers to deal with this. I made a simple one here: http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/535/steve-reich-style-phase-patterns#Item_13 It's designed to plug into the ScaleMapper, as you can see.

@biminiroad made an amazingly powerful one here: http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/500/bimini-road-the-gemini-sequencer-current-version-1-0#Item_6 It has a built-in ScaleMapper.

Definitely build your own, though. The learning process is quite enjoyable with Audulus!
  • Thanks JJthrash.

For sure - i'm gonna give it my best shot to build stuff on my own. Will take a look at those other modules though... not that i'll understand them (yet)!