Tape emulation
  • Anyone feeling up to the challenge of making an HQ tape wobble emulator like Snazzy FX's module?

Things I think it would need:
    Pitch mod (has to have a pseudo randomness to it I think or else it will just sound like vibrato)
    Hiss
    Flanging(?)
    ADT (Waves and UA have awesome ADT emulators, but the principle seems rather simple)
    compression w/ "warmth"
    Different tape speeds
    HQ tape and LQ tape

Anything else? I just moved to NC so I've been a bit lax in my own programming. Is anyone else as infatuated with the Bibio "sun-baked cassette" sound as I am?
  • I'm game. AUFX:Dub has it, too. It uses a random vibrato to do the warble, so you're on the right track, I think.

What's ADT? :)
  • Automatic Double Tracking - it splits off the signal and delays or pushes it forward in time. The Beatles used it a lot instead of double tracking vocals. Look up the UA Ampex or the Waves ADT sim on YouTube (would post a link but it's a hassle on the phone).
  • This would probably work for the random warble: http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/543#Item_1

I made it to modulate a -1 to 1 based vibrato, but there's no reason it couldn't modulate a 0 to 1 pitch shifter. I also aimed for it to be "mostly right." So, it's random, but mostly stays on track.
  • @jjthrash FTW per usual. I'm gonna do some reading as to what tape speeds do to EQ and compression.
  • Great job on this - it's the perfect jumping off point.

The warble seems to sound much more natural and tape-like the more points you add to the spline. Is there any way to make multiple "preset" spline patterns without unnecessary duplication of the node itself? We could easily connect a knob to a mux/demux to get quick access to different depths of "mostly zero" warble. The best way I could imagine it working is if you could somehow connect a knob to the spline points directly - with one or two knobs and some simple math node-ing you could get complex and virtually infinitely variable (but repeatable) warble characteristics. This would seem like a more efficient solution which could control 40+ points on the spline to approximate curves in a way that would be indistinguishable to the ear. Right now if you use the warble with just four points it sounds less natural. It also helps if you don't go straight across the center pitch but rather place the center pitch near the center of the spline and slightly tilt the sides around it - that way it doesn't appear to flatten out into one pitch for any amount of time, but still imparts the "near-zero" bias.
  • @biminiroad, Can you post a couple pictures of splines that sound good? I may try to approximate them with mathematical expressions, which would be intrinsically smooth. Probably less performant, though.
  • PS - my hope is that I can build an expression that would allow you to tweak knobs to affect its shape. The basic form of my 4-point spline is x^3, so I hope I could just work from that.
  • On a real cassette, the glitches would be related to each other. Are you thinking of driving multiple effects off the same warble generator?