DAW?
  • Hi All

Just bought the beautifully elegant Audulus in an attempt, primarily, to understand signal flows in Synths. (I am pretty much a neanderthal in this!).

So - lots of questions.

When I create a simple synth, can I somehow incorporate this into my DAW - Reaper - & record that sound in a project?
  • Welcome @JackOats!

Yes you can incorporate what you've built it into Reaper via the Audulus Audio Unit Plug-In, which is included with the Mac version of Audulus :). If you need help getting that working, let me know!

cheers
    - Taylor
  • DONE!
    No sweat - Just found & downloaded the Audio Unit Plugin - and it works like a dream in Reaper. Fantastic. Thank you Taylor
  • Hi Taylor

Sorry - another question!

Is it possible to create a GUI for the synths created with Audulus. Something like SynthEdit offers?
  • Also just wondering if there is a way to add portamento to the output.
  • The Custom Nodes upgrade allows you to create custom GUIs for sub-patches :)

For portamento, you'll want to filter the pitch signal. Check out the recent iProdigy patch, which uses a LowPass node to implement portamento (called "Glide" in the patch). You'll see the LowPass hooked up to the Hz output of the Keyboard node.

http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/393/iprodigy-a-moog-prodigy-emulation-under-audulus-ipad#Item_5
  • Hi Taylor

Thanks for that.

I bought the Custom Nodes upgrade from the App Store last night but I'm embarrassed to say that I can't find its location. Should it appear in Downloads?

Just checking out the iProdigy patch for portamento.

Many thanks
  • Hello again - really sorry about all these questions:(

Have tried inserting the LP node (& Phasor node) just about everywhere without success. (Please see screenshot below - I hope!)

I don't want to take up all your time though - maybe you could suggest a good book for complete dummies to help understand this complex subject.

Thanks Taylor.

Synth#1.tiff
  • @JackOats
    Welcome to Audulus!
    I'll field this one.
    The phasor node is a specialized oscillator. It produces a sawtooth wave that oscillates between 0 and 2*pi at the frequency specified by the frequency input. If you connect the phasor output to a sin node, it produces a sin wave that oscillates from -1 to +1.

LPF is a low pass filter. To hear it working requires a harmonically rich audio signal. When the LPF knob is 0 no frequencies are cut but as you turn it up, the high frequencies start to disappear.

image.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 130K
  • Hi JDRaoul

Thanks very much for the reply.

I really am completely new to this aspect of things.
    I have no background at all in physics or maths so I am trying really hard to follow what's being said.

I have inserted the LPF (as you can see from the screenshot below) but I don't know what to set the max & min levels to, to get a portamento effect.
    Synth#2.tiff
  • (I can't see your pic on my iPad.)
    Using LPF this way, the closer the LPF value is to 1 the longer it takes for the output to reach the value of the input. So try LPF set to .9999. I might set MIN = .99 and MAX = .9999 for experimental purposes.

Here is a potential experimental setup.
    image.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 118K
  • Sorry. Not getting any portamento effect at all.
  • That's just to illustrate how the LPF behaves. For a portamento effect, insert the LPF between an oscillator and the source of its frequency info.

image.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 129K
  • Hi

Many Thanks - but still no portamento effect I'm afraid.

I must be doing something wrong here?
    Synth#3.tiff
  • What value is LPF set at?
  • DONE!
    Just rechecked everything.
    Set LPF values to .99 Min/.9999 Max, as you suggested & we have portamento! Thank you so much.
    (Not sure why a LPF creates portamento though!)

The next problem though is that it applies to every note played.

I understood that if the Midi keyboard was set to Legato, portamento would only happen between 2 notes held down together. If you played the 1st note then the 2nd separately portamento wouldn't kick in.

What I'm hoping for is portamento only on certain notes in the written music.
  • I guess you got some Audulating to do! ;-)

• 'I don't want to take up all your time though - maybe you could suggest a good book for complete dummies to help understand this complex subject'.
  • I advocate play.
    Just spend time fooling around with Audulus. Make extensive use of the Value and Waveform Nodes. Make connections. See what happens. Try out all the nodes. Read all the docs. Download all the forum patches. Don't be intimidated by the arithmetic. Play it like a game. Use it as a laboratory. Have Fun.