What's your top feature request for Audulus? :)
  • Nah I see what you mean about breakpoints - but what would the UI for creating them look like? How would you prevent it from popping up on accident, and yet be easy enough to do on purpose? Same goes for the grouped nodes - what does it look like to lock/unlock them? It also sounds like what you want for your sequencer case would be served by the way the lock function works already. Not tryin' to shoot ya down, just these would be questions Taylor would ask. Also, every minute spent on something like this is a minute he doesn't spend on adding sampling, drawing wavetables, and more interesting things that expand the functionality and desireability of Audulus to the general public.
  • @plurgid, for what it's worth, when I look at your patching, I do appreciate the rectilinear neatness of the cords.

On grouping, what i would like would to be able to select groups of knobs and leds with a lasso while editing the module's front plate. It requires a lot of fortitude to lay out some of these things for no other reason than if you need to move an input over to add another knob a little, you have to move a myriad of other elements individually. If the editing of module front panels were more flexible you could add a step to your sequencer internally and it wouldn't be the end of the world.
  • @RobertSyrett - Couldn't agree with you more on the UI front - by far the most tedious part of building, especially when you want to make a small change and have to move absolutely everything.
  • I would like a sequencer module that reads .txt or .csv files. I'm imagining a module with a dropdown menu to select a file from Audulus' directory. The module would have a clock input, and its output would cycle through numerical values in the chosen file on each clock beat.

I like to compose using math sequences and this functionality would make it much easier to import sequences from oeis.org, Wolfram Mathematica, Excel, or anything else that can make .txt or .csv files.
  • @Mx_Messages - that will be possible with the Data node coming in Audulus 4. The Data node will play, record, import and export .wav files that can act like .txt if you want. Think of it like a souped-up Sample & Hold.
  • I'm not sure if the rules apply anymore, and being a new user I haven't read all 9 pages of comments. But just to be sure, I will formulate this as ONE request. ;-)

I would like a real performance mode. Meaning that:
    1. It would lock not only editing but also pan and zoom if you so wish
    2. When pan and zoom is locked it should support multitouch (of course)
    3. When in Edit mode (Edit GUI) all item labels should be shown, so you know what is what. But when not in Edit mode, only exposed texts would be shown. In Edit mode you should of course be able to select and move several items at once.

Finaly I can add a +1 on midi out. Would make for a badass controller/composer/modulator.
  • @Bingmachine - 1 & 2 are already requested, I think multitouch will be in Audulus 4. Not sure what the use of 3 is? Knobs can be labeled directly and buttons you just kinda have to keep track of. And yes, more efficient UI creation is something we have our eyes on :)

MIDI out is the last big add coming to Audulus 3, and will debut after we get multichannel audio/CV I/O sorted.
  • In a perfect world, I would name every knob, button and I/O. Otherwise it hard to tell what is what. But I want to put labels on the front panel manually, if you know what I mean, not necessarily naming everything.
  • @bingmachine - if you dont label them there's nothing Audulus could automatically do - it wouldnt be able to tell what each knob does, ya know?
  • I know it's on the way so I'm not being pushy, just asking. Is midi learn/automation far away for AU? Currently sending midi out cc's to iPad via Modstep and returning audio to DAW in order to do this. Really hanging out for this one unless somebody has a better workaround.
  • Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but different color waveforms would be really nice for layering module displays.
  • oh also, can we stop the automatic saving ? sometimes i tweak a patch for hours before i realise that i went in the wrong direction, annnnnd it's too late
    i have to undo for ever
  • +1 for standard save/save as. "rename" and "move to" are things the OS does. I end up opening new versions of projects I am working on, pasting back when I am satisfied, and then deleting the working copy. Audulus is alone in that workflow.
  • Hello there. I got Audulus a while ago and used it for a bit, but (like other people...?) I'm basically waiting for MIDI Out, before I start using it again. So, two questions: 1. Is it coming any time soon? 2. Any chance you could create a MIDI Out plug-in to work in Logic Pro X. As you probably know, AU plug-ins don't support MIDI Out, so the plug-in would need to be something that works in the MIDI FX slot in Logic Pro. Looking online, there are a few people releasing useful MIDI plug-ins for Logic's MIDI FX slot, but not that many...
  • Another thought - if you're in Edit UI mode, the UI element that you would select if you clicked could highlight with mouseover. That would make selecting the right object easier, and could be a nice visual cue that the UI is not locked.

User definable key shortcuts for various actions or modules could be powerful as well.
  • Oh, I wanted to say and wasn't sure where else to post it, but these small file sizes are pretty amazing with the new file system. It's not something I notice until I go to upload a module, but it's a nice achievement! Seemed like it was lot of work, but I think it will have been worth it, especially for iOS users.
  • I would like to have normalizing for modules the way that a eurorack does, so that there is an internal connection that is broken is there is a patch cord plugged into the front of the module. I was thinking an input on the input node that you see when you are in the subpatch view might be a good way of doing this, since every workaround I come up with has some sort of flaw. Basically right now if I want to do something like this I have to set up a switch and put it in the front panel design and that's pretty clumsy when compared with normalized inputs for electronic equipment.
  • @RobertSyrett - I have a solution that works for most modulation sources, but yeah this is one of those things that Taylor says is an easy add, but he's put more priority on big stuff. He and I talked about it sometime last year.
  • I agree with @RobertSyrett. It would be great if something like this was available. I thought you could have an output on the input and output nodes that switched high when a connection was made to the node. You could then switch whatever was needed.
  • ableton link & midi out on ios
  • Suggestion; More convenient interface for instantiating nodes and patches on iOS. Maybe a favorites bar or something. Maybe documentation string per module that shows up when browsing.

+1: Audio input from the DAW. Like a true modular system
  • It would be great if the Trigger node and Knob responded to a MIDI CC message. I had assumed the trigger would recognize a CC message, but found out today that it does not, only a midi note. I was hoping to use my Bias bluetooth pedal with Audulus, but it only sends CC or PC midi messages.
  • Can you send the Bluetooth unit to a knob and use the output like a trigger?
  • I don't see any way to assign any midi messages to a knob
  • @scootervagabond - there's a whole topic on the iOS interface redesign here:

http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/1324/ios-module-browser-update-need-your-feedback#Item_1

@stschoen - you should be able to click/tap on the knob, do "Learn MIDI CC" and then fiddle the pedal a little and it will auto map to that. If you want it to be a button, you can set a threshold for the knob where it turns on and use a flipflop to be the on/off state. The whole MIDI system in Audulus is definitely in need of an overhaul I think Taylor plans to do this all at once. He's getting an MPE keyboard right now.

It might be useful for you guys to start a MIDI thread in particular that will explain what needs to be done to make MIDI more useful in Audulus as an iOS app, in a DAW, and in the standalone. What do you want it to do? Etc I don't use MIDI very much so I don't have a ton of great ideas for it but I bet y'all would.

• I don't know how I missed it, I checked today and saw the "Learn MIDI CC". I guess I wasn't clicking on the knob itself. Duh. This should make it possible to use the pedal.
  • @biminiroad - ahh in that case, I would like to change my one suggestion then:

Suggestion: Quality of life improvements for creating and deleting nodes on OSX. For example currently sometimes when creating a node via the right click menu it will appear at a random location On the canvas rather than under the location of the original mouse click. Frequently it will appear off screen and I have to zoom out and hunt for it. Conversely on windows and OS X, the delete key seems to decide to stop functioning at some point during the session when trying to delete a node, and the only way to do so is via the menu. Also related quality of life is copy and paste doesn't seem to work between audulus windows in windows.
  • "For example currently sometimes when creating a node via the right click menu it will appear at a random location On the canvas rather than under the location of the original mouse click. Frequently it will appear off screen and I have to zoom out and hunt for it."

You're probably copying and pasting right? If so, the pasted node will have the same location as it did from wherever you pasted it from. This isn't ideal, but that's how/why it works - it's not just random. There's a coordinate grid that everything's location is stored in. Double clicking on the background will usually reveal where it is pretty quickly.

About the delete key - you talking the backspace or the delete key?

Thanks for the report!
  • It may be during copying and pasting - but it's a little crazy when it appears off screen and you have to zoom out and look for it.

As for the delete key, it's actually the delete key.
  • @ScooterVagabond - for sure, it should paste directly under where your mouse is, that's something that will be fixed in the future :)
  • I'm using Audulus mostly on my iPad and I wish I could tap the screen with two fingers for undo and tap with three fingers for a redo. This gesture would speed up the workflow.

Another request would be Adulus as AUv3 host - an AU node. zMors Modular does this pretty well.

IMG_2585.PNG
    2208 x 1242 - 1M
  • @Heiliger_Bimbam that will definitely happen at some point :) Multitouch gestures is something Taylor's been wanting to do for a while, too - nice suggestions.
  • @heiliger_Bimbam can you patch between ripple maker and the rest of the zMors?
  • That would be nice - or patching between two instances of Ripplemaker hosted in AUM. But sadly that's not possible.
  • @Heiliger_Bimbam are you sequencing ripplemaker w zmors? How much control do you have over ripplemaker w zmors? I've been trying to control ripplemaker w an another iPad sequencer just haven't found one I like. Can you design sequencers in zmors?
  • @Ryancolao there are several sequencers in zMors; I build a self playing patch with Ruismaker for drums and several AUs. AUs having midi in, two audio inputs for fx, two mod jacks and two audio output jacks. You can also mess around with cc data to control the AU.

But zMors has plenty of bugs, tends to crash and is a bit restricted. Not my cup of tea and I've uninstalled it. I guess I've found my mobile modular nirvana in Audulus. Thanks by the way guys.
  • @Heiliger_BimBam Honestly I was put off of zMors by the tutorials, there is no voiceover and I couldn't find a full manual in english. I guess Audulus really won out because Mark and Taylor are so clearly invested in the user experience and willing to communicate and cultivate the community of contributors who make patches.
  • Has someone already mentioned vertical faders (Roland synth style) and vertical text nodes?
  • @heiligerbimbam there's actually a topic I started about faders:

http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/1475/fader-node-need-your-input#Item_1

Rotateable text would be good though - you can already make text columns though (one letter per line) by putting a space or two between letters and then squishing the text box to its smallest. That won't rotate the whole line but that's how you can get a column (look at the shift register clock for example).
  • Another option for rotated text is the SVG graphics node. It's necessary to render the text as curves in order for Audulus to recognize it, and also to fill in the enclosed fills if you don't want "filled-in" letters.
    Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 12.06.53 PM.png
    973 x 740 - 66K
  • Hi! Search function in the library. It will increase the speed of patching. Current representation of items is not very convenient, even with tags. Previous toolstrip was better. Thanks for this awesome environment! )))
  • I would like to control the curves on the spline node like I can in Illustrator. Or maybe control the points on the spline by right/option clicking them and setting their value.
  • Granular Synthsis and Wavetable ;-)

+1
  • Oh man....I'm bursting with ideas, please don't force me to choose a "top" request! :) I keep a running list whenever an idea strikes me. In no particular order:

- OMG TEXT SEARCH!!!!!! Ideally searching through module/node names, tags, and maybe even descriptions? It'd also be great to be able to use both text search AND tags together - say, search "modulation" then select the "lfo" tag or something. Crappy example... Either way, while the drop-down approach to searching looks great on PC, the current iOS search paradigm is unsustainable IMHO.

- UP-TO-DATE DOCUMENTATION PLEASE!

- Complete documentation on what words work with the syntax of expression nodes. For instance, x, y, knob, sample can all be understood by this node. But for some reason, min and max aren't recognized. A comprehensive list would be nice.

- Extra info on how to use conditional syntax in the expression node. For instance, using multiple conditions together...

- When selecting a module, all I/O patch cables attached to that module should light up or be otherwise highlighted, not just the module itself. AnalogKit does this and it is really helpful for getting oriented within a busy patch.

- The ability to load other apps/plugins within Audulus, in order to get both the audio AND the midi out in a way Audulus can understand. For ideas, see zMors which currently has a module exactly for this purpose. This would make Audulus a much more flexible environment (not knocking it - it already is flexible!), and would save users the need to ALSO buy Audiobus in order to interface Audulus w/ other apps.

- A background grid you could show/hide, to help line objects up perfectly. Alternatively, a snap-to-grid feature for the canvas that can be toggled on/off.

- Custom units for value nodes (e.g., HZ, ms). it'd be sweet if these could be dynamic too, like 1000 ms b/c 1 s. I think AnalogKit can do this, but don't quote me as I may be wrong.

- A new input for the oscillator node for phase modulation a.k.a. frequency modulation synthesis.

- The ability to twist knobs and interact with objects **while simultaneously holding keys on the on-screen keyboard**. At least for me (iPad Pro 12.9", iOS 10.3.3, Audulus v3.4.1), if I want to tweak a knob, I have to release all keys.

- Key latch function

- A keyboard arp?

- A slew/lag node. This seems pretty basic, so maybe there is one and I just haven't found it...again, text search sorely needed...

- A bipolar knob. Better yet, some way to toggle whether a knob is uni- or bipolar (similarly to how you can select trigger vs. toggle mode for the trigger object). This would avoid needing to add a whole new node.

- A slider/fader object. The ability to toggle its orientation (horizontal vs. vertical) would be pretty slick to. And while we're at it, let's make give it a bi-polar option too :)

- A velocity output for the keyboard node. Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand how to use/route velocity within Audulus...

- The ability expose entire modules nested within subpatches. Say you're designing a synth and you want it to include a VCF module you created. Well, if you want this module exposed to the front panel, you have to connect new knobs to all its existing knobs, etc., forcing you to essentially recreate the module you've already created. In the case of nested modules, this negates the whole usefulness of modules in the first place. Put differently (and more positively lol), allowing entire modules to be exposed really would vastly expand their utility and flexibility.

- Please get rid of that tiny patch of dead space b/w the keys of the on-screen keyboard (slowly roll your finger between adjacent keys and the sound will cut out between them). This messes with legato playing.

- When tapping "Edit" to modify the numbers/text in an expression node, text node, knob value, etc., have the text be pre-selected *by default*. obviously whenever you tap "Edit", you're going to change whatever's in there, so having the text selected by default will reduce a step for the user and speed up the workflow.

- The ability to select multiple objects and move them around as a group when in "Edit UI" mode

- The ability to overwrite existing modules instead of just saving duplicates and manually erasing the older version. So, maybe add "Overwrite" in addition to "Save", or make an error message asking "Overwrite?" whenever you try to save a module with an existing name.

- A way to load in new modules from iCloud *from within projects*. Currently, in order to load up new modules that aren't in the browser yet, you have to exit the current project.

- The ability to view the manual *while inside a project*.

- An option to expand on-screen keyboard to two (or more!) octaves. Maybe it's just because my 12.9" iPad is massive, but half the screen beside the keyboard is dead space when in landscape mode. Argument for more than 2 octaves: Although the keys would likely be too small to play, it's helpful to be able to trial up and down the entire keyboard quickly when designing patches to find the sweet spot.

- An oscilloscope node for audio-rate waveforms (I think I saw a module recently that can do this? I can't find it in the browser...)

- The ability to add custom folders/subfolders for module library. NB: Tags admittedly have a similar effect...

- +1 for granular and wavetable synthesis functionality, though I'm sure that would be a colossal undertaking compared to most everything else on this wishlist.

I'm sure I can think of more, and will do so as they occur to me. Loving Audulus and how incredibly responsive you the devs are to your sheeple :P Despite my several comparisons to AnalogKit (which was my first dabble into iOS modular environments), Audulus flatly blows it out of the water. Really looking forward to the next update!
  • @themagicalkamja so basically a QoL patch update is your feature request. I can get behind that.
    Personally I wouldn't mind it if I could edit text and expression nodes immediately after I create them. There is no instance I can think of where I want the default text and having to open them every time is annoying to the point where I keep an add node floating around so i can double tap on the input to create an expression node rather than use the menu.
  • @RobertSyrett

> QoL

Quality of life?

> There is no instance I can think of where I want the default text and having to open them every time is annoying

Exactly!

> Personally I wouldn't mind it if I could edit text and expression nodes immediately after I create them. . . . I keep an add node floating around so i can double tap on the input to create an expression node rather than use the menu.

Genius!!
  • To the above list, I would also add this feature:

- Make the expression node exposable and editable from the front panel. For instance, say you made a synth with an expression "x*y" where x is the keyboard Hz and y is a number you want to use to control the octave (so, Hz*2 doubles the octave while Hz*.5 halves it). In this case, I'd love to expose the expression node used to send a value into the y input, so that I could change it on the fly without having to open up the synth's front panel. Of course, you can currently achieve the same effect with a mux and an exposable trigger switching between inputs, but that's more complex and requires many more nodes to achieve.
  • @themagicalkamja

- OMG TEXT SEARCH!!!!!!

This is coming in Audulus 4

- UP-TO-DATE DOCUMENTATION PLEASE!

Documentation is starting to be released, and I'm working on new stuff every day!

- Complete documentation on what words work with the syntax of expression nodes. For instance, x, y, knob, sample can all be understood by this node. But for some reason, min and max aren't recognized. A comprehensive list would be nice.

min and max are reserved as expressions. You can use Min and Max as variables since it's case-sensitive. Refer to this section of the documentation on the nodes for all you can do with the expression node.

http://docs.audulus.com/nodes/#math

- Extra info on how to use conditional syntax in the expression node. For instance, using multiple conditions together...

If you want to string multiple conditionals together, you multiply them (Conditional 1)*(Conditional 2) = True only when 1+2 are true.

If you want an expression for when either is true, use addition (Conditional 1)+(Conditional 2) = True when either 1 or 2 is true.

You can mix these together as well, so (C1)*(C2)+(C3) = True when both C1 and C2 are true and/or when C3 is true.

You may need to clamp the output of the expression to keep it between 0 and 1 for some applications, so: clamp((C1)*(C2)+(C3),0,1)

If you have other questions, start a separate forum topic on this and we can continue the conversation there.

- When selecting a module, all I/O patch cables attached to that module should light up or be otherwise highlighted, not just the module itself. AnalogKit does this and it is really helpful for getting oriented within a busy patch.

That's a great idea!

- The ability to load other apps/plugins within Audulus, in order to get both the audio AND the midi out in a way Audulus can understand. For ideas, see zMors which currently has a module exactly for this purpose. This would make Audulus a much more flexible environment (not knocking it - it already is flexible!), and would save users the need to ALSO buy Audiobus in order to interface Audulus w/ other apps.

That's an Audulus 4 feature.

- A background grid you could show/hide, to help line objects up perfectly. Alternatively, a snap-to-grid feature for the canvas that can be toggled on/off.

Has been requested before, but good idea.

- Custom units for value nodes (e.g., HZ, ms). it'd be sweet if these could be dynamic too, like 1000 ms b/c 1 s. I think AnalogKit can do this, but don't quote me as I may be wrong.

Not sure what you mean here? Can you explain this a little more.

- A new input for the oscillator node for phase modulation a.k.a. frequency modulation synthesis.

I think there should be a phase control from 0-360, but you can already do FM with the math nodes and whatnot. What you can't do is sync two audio oscillators and have one start at 0 degrees and the other at 90.

- The ability to twist knobs and interact with objects **while simultaneously holding keys on the on-screen keyboard**. At least for me (iPad Pro 12.9", iOS 10.3.3, Audulus v3.4.1), if I want to tweak a knob, I have to release all keys.

Multitouch is coming in Audulus 4 probably - it will include new nodes like XY pads and (hoping) customizable keyboard surfaces, so you could make something like the Buchla keyboard by creating shapes, skewing them, and using them as XY/pressure pads, etc.

- Key latch function

This should be built in, but it's easy enough to do this with what Audulus already gives you. That said, if you're using an external keyboard, it probably has a latch mode.

- A keyboard arp?

There are several in the forum patch collection: http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/969/forum-patch-repository-updated-72117#Item_1

I think some of the things you think are additions that Taylor needs to do on the programming side are really things that you can build with Audulus.

- A slew/lag node. This seems pretty basic, so maybe there is one and I just haven't found it...again, text search sorely needed...

Have you fully explored the module library? It's in there. Nodes are what you build modules out of, and people have made slew modules.

- A bipolar knob. Better yet, some way to toggle whether a knob is uni- or bipolar (similarly to how you can select trigger vs. toggle mode for the trigger object). This would avoid needing to add a whole new node.

A bipolar knob that goes between -1 and 1, or a knob that is self-centering? Because you can already range a knob to -1 to 1 by using the expression (Knob*2-1). Self-centering knobs

- A slider/fader object. The ability to toggle its orientation (horizontal vs. vertical) would be pretty slick to. And while we're at it, let's make give it a bi-polar option too :)

http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/1475/fader-node-need-your-input#Item_29

- A velocity output for the keyboard node. Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand how to use/route velocity within Audulus...

There is velocity output from the keyboard node. Are you using the on-screen keyboard? That doesn't have velocity. We're going to add a positional velocity keyboard in Audulus 4. If you need help with this, start a separate forum topic about it.

- The ability expose entire modules nested within subpatches. Say you're designing a synth and you want it to include a VCF module you created. Well, if you want this module exposed to the front panel, you have to connect new knobs to all its existing knobs, etc., forcing you to essentially recreate the module you've already created. In the case of nested modules, this negates the whole usefulness of modules in the first place. Put differently (and more positively lol), allowing entire modules to be exposed really would vastly expand their utility and flexibility.

This is something coming in Audulus 4. You don't need to recreate the module, you just need to attach knobs to the modules inside of the modules. Download this patch and see what I mean:

http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/1537/curvature-standalone-semi-modular-synthesizer#Item_20

- Please get rid of that tiny patch of dead space b/w the keys of the on-screen keyboard (slowly roll your finger between adjacent keys and the sound will cut out between them). This messes with legato playing.

The keyboard will be overhauled for Audulus 4.

- When tapping "Edit" to modify the numbers/text in an expression node, text node, knob value, etc., have the text be pre-selected *by default*. obviously whenever you tap "Edit", you're going to change whatever's in there, so having the text selected by default will reduce a step for the user and speed up the workflow.

This is a good suggestion I just don't know if iOS makes it possible. I'll ask Taylor.

- The ability to select multiple objects and move them around as a group when in "Edit UI" mode

This has been suggested before and is coming in Audulus 4 probably.

- The ability to overwrite existing modules instead of just saving duplicates and manually erasing the older version. So, maybe add "Overwrite" in addition to "Save", or make an error message asking "Overwrite?" whenever you try to save a module with an existing name.

Good idea!

- A way to load in new modules from iCloud *from within projects*. Currently, in order to load up new modules that aren't in the browser yet, you have to exit the current project.

You can load modules into the "modules" folder that appears in your computer's iCloud folder when you link Audulus to iCloud. You'll have to exit and re-enter the patch still, but you won't have to manually import them from iCloud and add them to the library that way.

- The ability to view the manual *while inside a project*.

Audulus supports split screen mode.

- An option to expand on-screen keyboard to two (or more!) octaves. Maybe it's just because my 12.9" iPad is massive, but half the screen beside the keyboard is dead space when in landscape mode. Argument for more than 2 octaves: Although the keys would likely be too small to play, it's helpful to be able to trial up and down the entire keyboard quickly when designing patches to find the sweet spot.

See above about the keyboard overhaul.

- An oscilloscope node for audio-rate waveforms (I think I saw a module recently that can do this? I can't find it in the browser...)

The forum patches aren't collected in the module browser yet because they need to be standardized. Check out the forum patch collection it's in there, but yeah this is something coming in Audulus 4.

- The ability to add custom folders/subfolders for module library. NB: Tags admittedly have a similar effect...

Audulus 4.

- +1 for granular and wavetable synthesis functionality, though I'm sure that would be a colossal undertaking compared to most everything else on this wishlist.

I'm sure I can think of more, and will do so as they occur to me. Loving Audulus and how incredibly responsive you the devs are to your sheeple :P Despite my several comparisons to AnalogKit (which was my first dabble into iOS modular environments), Audulus flatly blows it out of the water. Really looking forward to the next update!

Glad you dig it! Have you checked out the tutorial livestreams yet? I bet you'd be into those and learn a lot from them.

http://forum.audulus.com/categories/audulus-tutorial-livestreams
  • Thanks for taking the time to address each point! Sadly, it sounds like half of them were a waste of your time haha. Thanks for the pointers.

As for the things that I suggested that can be built anyway, I just suggested these because having dedicated nodes for the simpler, often needed objects would be more elegant than building workarounds IMHO. For instance, you *could* build a bipolar knob as you suggested, and I've done that before, but if the knob+expression's output is -1 to 1, it just seems odd that the "0" midpoint is half green. That's just a really small thing though, so not a major concern.

> This is coming in Audulus 4

Many of my concerns will be addressed in v4, it seems. I won't press you for any specific release dates yet :) But any idea yet if that will be a free vs. purchased upgrade?

> > - Custom units for value nodes (e.g., HZ, ms). it'd be sweet if these could be dynamic too, like 1000 ms b/c 1 s. I think AnalogKit can do this, but don't quote me as I may be wrong.

> Not sure what you mean here? Can you explain this a little more.

Sure. So right now, say I patch a knob (min = 0; max = 20,000) to the filter cutoff, then use a value node to display the knob's value. Say I then group the filter+knob+value, and expose the knob+value. The result will be just that: a knob and a number exposed on the front panel. Beyond that, if I want the value to say "500 Hz" instead of just "500", the only option is to add "Hz" as a separate text object. This is fine and certainly functional, but I need to space "Hz" far enough from the value to allow sufficient space for numbers of different lengths. Thus, sometimes the front panel will look like "20,000 Hz" (good), but sometimes it will look like "10 Hz", which looks awkward. This is the current situation.

So what I'm suggesting would be the ability to have the "Hz" be displayed as **part of** the value node, i.e., the units. Thus, when sweeping from 0-20,000, the "Hz" would perhaps move right as the number gets longer. Further, it would be sweet to be able to select which units I want from a pre-fab list, say, oct/semi, Hz, s/ms, %, etc., or perhaps even user-defined (maybe best if some people are particular about caps/no caps, etc.).

[Edit: Also, I think I was wrong about AnalogKit. I haven't used it in a while, but can't find where I thought this function was. I may have just been confusing it with Max for Live, which does allow custom units.]

As with several of my suggestions, this one is mostly cosmetic since you *could* just add a text object. But this can result is less attractive than it could be. One of Audulus' primary marketing and selling points IMO is how visually appealing it is. Since that's one of its strong points, why skimp!

Anyway, I'll stop hogging this thread. Thanks!
  • @themagicalkamja

"As for the things that I suggested that can be built anyway, I just suggested these because having dedicated nodes for the simpler, often needed objects would be more elegant than building workarounds IMHO. For instance, you *could* build a bipolar knob as you suggested, and I've done that before, but if the knob+expression's output is -1 to 1, it just seems odd that the "0" midpoint is half green. That's just a really small thing though, so not a major concern."

When you talk about "dedicated nodes" for things, what you're missing is that modules serve the same purpose. In general, nodes are things that can't (or can't very easily or efficiently) be built with other nodes.

The reason the knobs are set the way they are is so they can interface with modulation and gate signals, which are all 0 to 1. We'll probably have a self-centering knob at some point, and this will have the animation that you're looking for, where 0 appears to be in the center.

"Many of my concerns will be addressed in v4, it seems. I won't press you for any specific release dates yet :) But any idea yet if that will be a free vs. purchased upgrade?"

Like most other software, V.X updates are always free (x.0, x.1, x.2, etc.) while V updates (2.x, 3.x, 4.x, etc.) are always paid. I don't know when the release date is but probably not until late spring next year or something. Taylor's mostly working on developing other apps at the moment.

Your units thing makes sense now, but the answer isn't to add a units function, it's to change the way the value node renders its numbers. Some things are the way they are because Taylor just didn't anticipate how they'd be used when they were first created. If you look at the value node, it makes sense that when Taylor created the exposable version, he set the "anchor" point as the first digit. This was just an oversight and is something he could fix at some point. This is a good suggestion and one I've thought about for a while :)

And don't worry about hogging the thread - these are all good ideas and it's obvious you're excited about Audulus, which is only a good thing!