What's your top feature request for Audulus? :)
  • Can't find thread search, so apologies if already mentioned:

Improved on screen iOS midi keyboard:
    -allow key presses while tweaking controls
    -display keys for full width of device. iPhone Plus and 12" iPad both have keyboard on the left then much blank space.
    -maybe height of key based velocity option
    -2x size mode toggle.
  • Not concerned with styling, but here is a screen shot with current KB and the alchemy keyboard from GarageBand overlayed.
    Image 51.jpg
    2208 x 1242 - 324K
    IMG_3844.PNG
    2208 x 1242 - 314K
  • On windows 10 touch screens, there should be the ability to generate the right click menu by tapping and holding.
  • @biminiroad I just confirmed that I have hold-for-right-clicking enabled and it still doesn't activate in Audulus. Thank you for looking that up though.
  • What about a new way of checking and editing sub-patches? For example, when clicking into a patch, instead of the window going into sub-patch mode, maybe a pop up window with what's into that patch, giving the user the ability to change whatever he wants into the sub-patch window while he can see what's happening outside, at patch level. Something like that.
  • @jaisaqui - what's the advantage of that? It's easy enough to pop back in and out.
  • Example: I want to see how the waveform change at patch level when I change something at sub-patch level... It is easy enough to pop back in and out, that's true, but I think it could be convenient not have to do it under certain circumstances. On the other hand, could be more CPU consuming and too much work for what it has to offer.
  • @jaisaqui - you can just create a meter inside the subpatch and delete it when you're done with it. Have you tried that? Just tap the output of the subpatch as it's leaving and put that into a meter.
  • Putting waveform meters on random outputs inside a subpatch is probably my favorite thing about audulus.
  • I'd like to see an option to change the background color into something other than black.
  • Midi routing
  • @Ymsey - that's next on the chopping block after we sort the arbitrary audio I/O that's in beta right now :)
  • top feature request?

a knob which has input(s) aswell.
    useful if you want to use 1 knob for different jobs (-> multifunction knob)... which changes the current position when another operation is chosen..
    this would be usefull to keep the moduls smaller (less knobs)..

and another thing which would come very handy would be a lock screen option.. when your done building your synth to lock the whole screen.. or at least that the moduls are locked at its position...

+ 1000 other things.. :D
  • @phal_anx, so you could toggle between different outputs, but it would remember it's last setting?
  • Well, this knob won't remember it's value when you return to it, but you can control multiple things and sample and hold will keep the value for the non-selected inputs.
    Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 8.53.07 PM.png
    832 x 402 - 70K
    RHS Multi Knob.audulus
  • exactly.. this would need an endless rotary knob with an input where it can get the last setting.. to change the knob position.. i dont know how hard it would be to code that and if others would also appreciate this but for me it would be cool to have this kind of knob in audulus...

the problem with your version is that i wont jump to the position.. cause it only has an output and no input to get the position..
    if we never get this kind of knob i m totally ok with it...
    right now i m creating a 4x16step sequencer where it would come very handy..
    instead of having 4x16 knobs it would be 16..
  • You know the two things that I still wish I had on a regular basis (besides promised features like midi out, arbitrary i/o, and sample/data node) is a button node that would be to midi triggers just like the knob node is to the constant node, and the ability to scale objects and make big knobs and text.
  • @RobertSyrett - i hear ya :D

there is alot of things which would be nice.. right now, the main thing i wish to get is the same version like all mac/ios users have... e.g. the user folder for your own moduls... hope @Tayler will fix this soon :)
  • @Phal_anx - there's already a lock screen option on iOS, but you're saying you want it for computer too, right? What are the other 1000 things you want? Just curious :)
  • exactly... i think the only difference between the mac,ios and windows version should be the os and nothing else...
    @biminiroad - about the "1000" things ... i can write you a list next days.. :D
  • @Phal_anx - yeah there's not deliberately any difference between them - it's just stuff Taylor hasn't implemented yet :) And please do!
  • @biminiroad - I know that :) i compare it to other software i use for music production... like karmafx (which is also only 1 programmer) ... he always releases updates when done for all os versions.. not 1 after another :) this is something i like to see here..
    that there can be bugs like the windows version i have (3.3) doesnt show the modul folder open function is ok.. bugs happen :) if this is a bug LOL

and of course i will write you guys a list ;)
  • @Phal_anx - that's what happens for the most part when a new feature comes out! At least in-app features (like nodes and stuff) are all the same. The other differences are minor and probably won't take too long to fix on Taylor's end - it's just an issue of priorities at the moment :)
  • +1 for seeing the windows version updated along with the others :) like mac ver 3.3.5 and ios 3.3.10
  • On IPad Pro 12.9, full screen component browser. It would be great to be able to use the whole screen, especially since there are so many items!
  • @etotman - I think you need to update - there already is a full screen node/module browser :) You can also use iPad in portrait mode.
  • The ability to have pitch bend work on a particular midi channel. It's currently fixed to Omni mode.
  • @mmmcc666 I'm pretty sure midi will get a total overhaul when Audulus gets midi out. Hopefully pitchbend per channel will be a part of that.
  • Just to make it clear, i’m only using the mac os version for now,
    so maybe i’ll suggest things that
    are already on the ipad/iphone app

1# a search-box for nodes and modules for the desktop version,
    like the ones in Max or Reaktor
    sometimes it’s really annoying when
    you’re looking for a node/module and you just can’t remember where to find it

#2 a way to play Audulus (Mac App) with the computer’s keyboard
    when you don’t have a midi controller available
    or when you work on the go

#3 an « audio object »
    if we could just drag and drop an audio file inside Audulus
    in a not too far update…that would be amazing
    and maybe later including a granular sampler,
    or something additive/spectral
    this would be a complete game changer

#4 FFT tools

#5 CC control, the AU version doesn’t recognise 
them on Ableton,
    i’m maybe the only one tho but i can’t create automations :/

#6 adding a white noise waveform by default in the Osc node

#7 a debug mode option, when you hoover on a node and they tell you what type of input/output signal is expected

#6 ok now this one sounds a little bit crazy but i’m going to say it anyway:
    being able to use the incoming data from your webcam or any data
    would be really cool, the possibility to generate sound related/visual content
    would be dope too
  • @Nömak I completely agree with you, but does this not sound like MAX/MSP for a fraction of the price? I think there may be another full version before some of those features become available.

I too am definitely looking forward to an audio object, FFT/Oscilloscope, and qwerty midi control :)
  • yes and no, max has way more options, like Gen or Jitter... and it's a MIDI beast
    i'm not asking Audulus to get there, but at least including audio
    is imo the step that is going to make a lot of people move from
    their classic DSP environnement to Audulus, besides
    who says that the price will stay the same forever ?
    and also don't forget that pure data is a max msp version... for free ;)
  • my future request is to make audulus possible on mac os 10.9 (mavericks)
    sierra sucks
  • i actually upgraded from Yosemite to Sierra just to install Audulus,
    so far so good, i haven't noticed a lot of bugs yet

i feel like you should always wait a good 6 month/1 year before updating your system
    so they can fix all the bugs that will make your software crash
  • A UI button that locks the screen from moving. Would be helpful on IOS to prevent accidental touches.
  • -If/while logic statements and variable storage
    -Input MIDI channel selection
    -Better sounding reverb module
    -Separate undo button
    -Search modules
    -Double tap output and then an input to connect without dragging (especially for far away modules)
  • @mmmcc666

-The ability to have pitch bend work on a particular midi channel. It's currently fixed to Omni mode.

Thanks for pointing that out! I think that was just an oversight.

@Nömak

- a search-box for nodes and modules for the desktop version

Agreed, this is coming at some point.

- a way to play Audulus (Mac App) with the computer’s keyboard
    when you don’t have a midi controller available
    or when you work on the go.

You're asking for Musical Typing? If so this is a popular ask. Right now you have an option to use the AU/VST in a DAW that has musical typing.

- an « audio object »

This is coming in Audulus 4 and will be the Data node. It will do more than load, record, export audio - it can also do data, like vast arpeggiation tables, sequence saving, etc. as well as forwards/backwards/random play etc.

-FFT tools

Yea, agreed.

-CC control, the AU version doesn’t recognise 
them on Ableton,
    i’m maybe the only one tho but i can’t create automations :/

Yeah, eventually!: )

-adding a white noise waveform by default in the Osc node

Not a bad idea, but I doubt Taylor would want to do it. He'd say just make an oscillator module that uses a Mux to switch between different oscillator shapes + noise. Usually if you can build it in Audulus then he's not going to spend time updating Audulus to do it.

-a debug mode option, when you hoover on a node and they tell you what type of input/output signal is expected

This wouldn't be very useful, since gate, envelope, and modulation are all kinda interchangeable. Also, each node just says clearly what the output is. Once you see the updated documentation I think it will make more sense. But every input/output is just numbers - there's no signal difference like in Pd where bangs and audio are different.

-ok now this one sounds a little bit crazy but i’m going to say it anyway:
    being able to use the incoming data from your webcam or any data
    would be really cool, the possibility to generate sound related/visual content
    would be dope too

That's definitely coming at some point, in one way or another...

@panthera86
    my future request is to make audulus possible on mac os 10.9 (mavericks)
    sierra sucks

Sorry, probably won't happen!

@eall123
    - A button that locks the screen from moving. Would be helpful on IOS to prevent accidental touches.

That's a popular request! Can see why it'd be useful...

@SynthEnthusiast

-If/while logic statements and variable storage
    You can already do these, you just can't store between patch loads. The storage between patch loads will come with the new data/sample node in Audulus 4. If instead you're having trouble making an if/while statement with expression node language, let me know mark@audulus.com (or post in the help section on the forum.

-Input MIDI channel selection
    That's already there - you can just tap on Omni, and go through Omni, 1-16.

-Better sounding reverb module
    Reverbs can be built with what's there in Audulus already. In general, if you can do something in Audulus, Taylor won't make a redundant node (from here on out at least).

-Separate undo button
    Yeah we're working on a better solution for this.

-Search modules
    Coming...

-Double tap output and then an input to connect without dragging (especially for far away modules)
    This is a good idea! I made a note of it :)
  • +1 on zoom/pan lock mode with ability to turn multiple knobs simultaneously in iOS.
  • I went to the Don Buchla Memorial Concert Series this weekend in San Francisco and it got me wishing that there was a capacitive touch plate node for the iOS and Windows 10. l guess this will come when/if Taylor gets around to multitouch, but It would be amazing to make our own versions of things like Thunder.
    buchlafthunder.jpg
    700 x 495 - 91K
  • Exactly that! :)
  • Ooh what about resizeable/skewable xy pad node?
  • Using Windows standalone and as a VST in Reaper/Ableton, I think there are a couple of idiosyncrasies with the mouse that make the interface non-standard and a bit hard for me to use. The mousewheel seems backwards. Typically scrolling up zooms in on things in design based programs (browsers, photoshop, visio). I think this should at least be an option to flip the mousewheel around.

The middle mouse button should act as a pan control. Right now it is just redundant and acts the same as the primary button. This can make a two handed operation (alt+mouse button) one handed. This is also pretty standard as well.

I think these changes would make the interface feel much more natural, for Windows users at least.
  • A few things that I think would make building on desktop quicker.

-Any nodes that have an 'edit' or 'rename' type menu option should be activated on double click
    -Double clicking a knob should bring up a combo input box with 'min', 'max' and 'current' all in the same window
    -Something like middle-click to pan when using a mouse. The multitouch gestures on a trackpad are great but navigating around with a mouse is a bit clunky (I know you can hold option and drag, I just find it clunky).
  • This seems a bit of a trivial request, but ... as I build larger and larger patches, it becomes harder and harder to organize the GUI so I can keep things understandable.

To that end I have three GUI requests:

1) snap to grid

2) ability to add break-points to patch cables ... instead of having to create hundreds of vias, just let me set a breakpoint on the cable and make my right angle if I need one :-)

3) node grouping without having to make it a subpatch. Which is to say, just let me select a bunch of nodes and "lock" their spatial relationship to eachother.
  • @plurgid - snap is definitely coming (as well as gridded copy/paste where you can select how many rows/columns of something you want), doubt breakpoint would happen (what would its UI look like? also taylor is loath to add anything to Audulus that can be done within Audulus already) 3 - doubt that one will come either, since what would its lock/unlock UI look like, and why isn't lasso enough?
  • Can we compromise on a via node? or not putting the via 5 folders deep in the menu tree?
  • @RobertSyrett - that's a good idea - probably would just have it higher in the utilities folder. The nice thing about it being a module and not a node is that you can rearrange its orientation (horizontal/vertical/backwards etc) - you wouldn't be able to do this with a node.

Or maybe just a via folder under modules? That might be best
  • @biminiroad ...

Cool on the snap stuff. Looking forward to it!

Audulus is somewhat visually unique in that it's connectors ("wires") are all what look like bezier curves. Which is cool, don't get me wrong, and I'm not suggesting that visual paradigm away, but sometimes and especially in the case of large patches it leads to an impenetrable visual mess. One can work around that using vias, but a more elegant solution would be optionally straight wires with breakpoints.

What I mean by wire "breakpoints" is pretty much the way everything else does it ... that is ... straight lines. For instance have a look at something like visio or pure data or reaktor ... or heck ... the line tool in ms paint. I'm not saying that's the ONLY kind of wire there should be, but where it makes sense to have connectors of that type, it would be nice to be able to have them without needing to actually route through hundreds of via subpatches, just for the sake of a cleaner gui.

On the grouping thing ... what I'm talking about is locking the spacial relationship between nodes. The Lasso is similar, but it is for selecting groups of nodes. What I'm talking about is like a "permanent lasso".

Take a look at my Skittles patch ... that's a good example of where this would be useful. I broke the step sequencer into modules ... a counter, and a single module that will switch on, when it's number is hit in the coubter. So I have several rows of sequence element modules, and I can tack an extra step on the end or more complex routing if I want to. However things start sliding around pretty bad when you're editing the steps.

I like the ability to make a step sequencer with an arbitrary number of steps just by slapping another module on the end, but it's kind of a pain to use. Yeah I could lock the entire gui then unlock it when I'm done editing my steps, but how much cooler would it be to have a "permanent lasso" on my step sequence modules? Like locking the gui for only a selection of nodes rather than all or nothing.