What's your top feature request for Audulus? :)
  • I would like to able to save patches in an optimised VST format to reduce the potential CPU overhead when running multiple instances in a DAW.
  • @Taylor

I was speculating on the possibility of being able to compile external code modules into code that can be run as "Audulus code" on iOS. Or ran as if it belonged to a patch.

It's the same idea as in compiling code in any source to binary and then "it's compatible with everything".

And then the iOS version could be reduced "embedded" Audulus that disables the modification of such external modules.

See this from the libpd site, which is doing similar things as Audulus:
    https://github.com/libpd/pd-for-ios/wiki/ios#using-compiled-c-language-externals-on-ios
  • A knob which could smoothly change between waveforms. Like on example. Everything in one oscillator.
    multiwaveform.audulus
    2M
  • Buchla-style modules!

( but I'll absolutely +1 for this; "folders in the patch browser -- @thinds, @Elektroshnik" )

Cheers!
  • @DS_in_the_ATX - what do you mean "Buchla-style"?
  • @biminiroad - my bad, that was mighty vague! Don Buchla was not a fan of playing traditional music on synths and his instruments were not created toward that end - more about "events" than "notes" so most of his modules supported complexities that could be downright non-musical. As I get more into Audulus I think I'll be able to cobble some stuff together to float my boat in this style, if I find some really legible graphics I'll send them by way of example, also (if you never have) check out Morton Subotnick, "Sidewinder" or "Touch" being good examples of Buchla-based output. and hey thanks for all you do in this community - cheers!

266r-Front.jpeg
    480 x 640 - 103K
    $(KGrHqJHJEwE88eJ0sdwBPc6(Dh(Y!~~60_57.JPG
    1558 x 1600 - 627K
  • How about support for Open Sound Control?

I'd love to be able to communicate between Cinder and Audulus.
  • A way to pan midi based on note just like a piano. That would be amazing
  • Just wanted to drop a +1 in for Midi IO. I see this is currently in the works - awesome.

Not sure if this is possible at the moment or a feature request.. I was considering tanh distortion/wave-shaping and how 'expr' could be a great sandpit for DSP and building custom sub-patches. But I assume aliasing is currently an issue as there is no up/down-sampling. Would you consider adding that to the backlog?
  • @scoridd - you can use tanh(x) as an expression already - is that what you're asking?
  • granular, wavetable synthesis
  • @biminiroad no, I have patches that use the tanh distortion. I mean, if I wanted to implement a non-linear distortion/waveshaping algorithm (for example, using tanh or a polynomial non-linearity) on a signal, it will introduce harmonics/partials above the highest frequency of the original signal - which will lead to aliasing, if no steps are taken to avoid it. So ideally we'd oversample, apply the algorithm, apply an anti-alias filter then downsample, in order to avoid aliasing.
  • @Scoridd upsampling is a great idea. I've been wanting to add that for a while :)
  • good stuff!
  • I know I won't be able to add much to the debate but +1 for midi out (clock, CC and PC) :) Well a least Clock and CCs
    Then Ableton link
    Then Audio Units as it is a (great) thing on iOS now

Any news from any of these things ?
    I hope everything is going well, good luck !!
  • Nice update on iOS.
    Small request/idea,
    Have the double arrow icon/button that shows/hides the bottom pane remain in the same spot(bottom left) once the pane is opened. Imagining it 'feeling' much better this way. Open, close, open, close...no problem. :) (exaggerated example)
    Also, the cpu reading gets covered up when the pane is opened so maybe moving the "cpu" over there next to the arrows in that blank spot(when open) so it's always visible?
  • A save/load preset utility for patches.
    For example, the possibility to save and load different values on each parameter in "Phat Pad Thai" patch (a biminiroad's patch, one of my favourites). Is it possible? would be great!
    Many thanks!
  • I think it would be awesome to be able to:

* double click a wire and it gets "highlighted" and the others get muted somehow for a few seconds, so you can trace connections in a large design. Also, perhaps when you "highlight" a wire, it gets "labeled" with the name of the output it originates at and the name of the input it goes to (if named). Also, the devices/patches at both ends could get highlighted for a few seconds as well.

* breadcrumb navigation - I thought about just including this as a "best practices in patch design" where there is some text in sub patches showing you you're in "Top Level Design --> Sub Patch 2 --> Sub-Sub Patch 3 --> etc", but it might be cool to have it incorporated in audulus.
  • @diego898 there is a text via available in the modules that you can use to add text to a wire.
  • Hello! I predominantly use Audulus on the iPhone, and it would be a convenience to be able to add elements by double tapping as well as by dragging them.

On a side note I'm experiencing crashing every time I close the patch info panel, so currently have a lot of iterations of 'New Patch': I tend to give things stupidly unhelpful names, so on the plus side that is organising my patches by date; adding an option to 'sort by' on the patch menu screen would occasionally be of benefit to me.

Love the program. Thanks for your great work!
  • After a good session on my iPad mini2, I determined at this time, with this build, it would help to have...
    -the ability to multitouch the keyboard and knob/s of modules at the same time(not sure if full multitouch is a problem to add, but at least keyboard and one other control?)
    -the lock icon displayed on the main canvas (as opposed to in the hideaway menu. Maybe where the cup reading is now. Idea to move cpu reading follows;)
    -the hide/show menu double arrow icon remain in same spot(corner) when menu is both opened and closed
    -the cpu display somewhere that it is not hidden by the opened menu(perhaps next to the double arrow icon)
    -a second lock function that allows panning, zooming, knob and other module controls manipulation and nothing else(no pop menu when touching module either)
    -and perhaps some time in the future a hold function for the keyboard.

These represent the frustrations I continue to have when using on the iPad, sans midi keyboard at least. Sorry if I've mentioned some before. Just wanted to get a fresh complete list here.
  • - Read/Write Variable Storage for text and numerical values.
    - Ability to expose Sub-Patches (as well as Nodes) to parent.
    - Ability to define a patch as an "Instrument" if that's it's purpose.
    - Vertical and Horizontal sliders as options along with knobs.
    - Have an input that detects whether it has a cable connected to it or not.
    - - If not, have an initial value that can be set (e.g. NaN).
    - - That way something like a mux will not run an operation since it's 0 based.
  • Like uv777bk I would like to see a slider control, some persistant read/write storage (perhaps an array that could be indexed). Also a lock for the Mac and iPad that allows you to manipulate the user controls and pan/zoom but freezes the rest of the layout.
  • Envelope follower with adjustable attack & release.
  • @ohmslice - you can do this with a slew limiter after the envelope node! Also, it can probably be built with a z-1 configuration, but @macromachines would know more about that since he made an envelope follower for his Omnimod Eurorack module
  • +1 on MIDI out. Would be nice! :)
  • Surprise no one has said OSC (open sound control). Having OSC capabilities would be pretty rad imo.
  • @danieljodeci - people have mentioned that way back :) It's on the list
  • comprehensive midi I/O (multiple ports/channels are a must here) both between programs and with external devices +42

would also love to see some OSC and Link happening, but please let us route the midi first
  • @mellonhead - This is coming in a newer update - this 3.3 update had to be finished first before MIDI out was implemented. Basically, if Taylor had implemented MIDI out before this z-1 rewrite, he would have had to redo the programming for MIDI out again. So don't worry, it's coming!
  • I can`t wait, midi out finally! I`m going to continue with my patches. I wish a multitouch audulus for ipad/iphone and i`ll jerk off in the screen, This are the only things that i need for my ideas... Do you know if it is coming soon?
    Oh, I forgot it, but a way for saving values in sample and hold nodes could break my balls in happyness (i dont know english so i invent my own exptessions)
  • @Restart - we're going to make a sample node that can load, play, and record samples of audio or data. @macromachines has been working on it for a while. Dunno when it's due out, but that's in the plan. We're *definitely* going to do multitouch, too. But for the time being, I'm getting an ES-8 mailed to me right now and I'll be doing demos of how to use Audulus to create CV for modulars and how to process audio through it - imagine using a tube distortion inside a delay loop in Audulus. It's for real. :) The ES-8 can do a lot more powerful stuff than is available to MIDI, so that should tide people over for a while until Taylor gets around to programming the MIDI out.
  • Simple request, may have been asked before - I haven't read whole thread.

How about being able to set a 'background colour' for patches - perhaps even just from a selection of preset colours that don't interfere too much with the reset of the UI. I think this would really help with being able to visually group sections of the patch together, so that when zoomed out you can instantly see an overview of all the patches that are closely related.

Don't get me wrong - I like the way Audulus looks (it's definitely a step up from max/PD!) - but it does all have the tendency to get lost in a sea of blue and yellow. An option to add colours to patches/modules would make our designs more memorable and visually appealing.

Of course, we'd need to be able to do this also by selecting a number of patches and setting the bg colour for them all at once.
  • Has anyone mentioned accelerometers? This is something the OP-1 has that would be incredible in Audulus iOS.

Maybe there's a way to do it already, but I'd love an accelerometer x and accelerometer y node.
  • @SteveX - I'd love it if we could have access to all sorts of data-as-nodes, like even GPS coordinates and the 3d touch and whatnot :) It's all a matter of time and implementation
  • @biminiroad yes! A synth that sounds different based on where you are - that's cool. How about - temp, barometer, compass, and light sensor (built in camera)? #fingerscrossed
  • Here's an Idea I had regarding one of the pile of inputs and outputs and knobs and whatever that is created when you create a sub-patch. When exposing elements of a sub-patch, rather than stack them on top of each other they are encased in a little bubble that pops when you drag it around. I am envisioning something like an item drop in a video game. A bubble popping up automatically unlocks the the UI for editing and (like bubbles do) bubbles would be spaced around the spawn point based on the perimeter of their size.
  • I would love a "blow up" or "expand" feature for patches. Patches look the cleanest and and are easiest to use when they are compact. But when understanding them, it would be great if it could automagically expand outward, signal lines became straight, maybe even bent at right angles, etc. A patch creator could save the expanded state and compressed state and a patch user could easily switch between the two.
  • @diego898 - you can use the vias to make patches have right angles in them - check out the inside of the analog delay!
    Analog Delay+Chorus.audulus
  • What is the vias?
  • @RobertSyrett - look inside the patch I just posted - the vias are the little tab things that allow me to route the signal backwards at right angles - the > > things
    Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 12.02.07 PM.png
    1001 x 597 - 105K
  • I was actually doing just that! So a via in this case is just a sub patch that passes the signal through to the output with no processing. That's something I'll probably start doing.
  • @RobertSyrett - yup! It comes from vias in electronics, where a trace will plunge through a board to another layer through a hole. I didn't come up with them, I think @jdraoul did?
  • @biminiroad Thanks! I had seen/used those in the past as well. I just thought it would be cool for patches to have a "presentation" layout and a "learning" layout. In learning layout, touching an wire would light up the nodes its connected to, etc.
  • I would like to be able to ping midi triggers with other midi triggers the way you can modulate knobs with other knobs. Currently when I have an input more than one subpatch deep that is tuned to trigger gate input it is least complicated to make that input a knob and then attach a trigger to that and expose it, which is just kind of clumsy to me. I understand that it's kind of nice to be able to attach an LFO to the knob and have the LFO send trigger data and that wouldn't go away. But stringing together triggers makes the most sense to me and has the added advantage that triggers could also be flipflops (toggle mode) if this change were made.
  • @RobertSyrett - you can do what you want already, just use an add node like this (see attached). And you know that triggers can be directly set into toggle mode, right? Tap or right click on the patch and you'll see a little box to check for toggle. Most of the modules in the library that use triggers use them in toggle mode, like the ADSR and Keyboard module! :)
    Thru Trigger.audulus
  • @biminiroad Happy Thanksgiving! Thank you for that bit of Auduknoledge and the Thru Trigger template. What I am describing is a little different, the Thru Trigger sums the trigger object's state with the one in the subpatch above it so if both were in toggle mode, you would get 0, 1, or 2 depending on their configuration. I was thinking of a way to cascade triggers AND build chains of flipflops, but until then the Thru Trigger and the flipflop module will do nicely. Hope you have a great holiday.
    IMG_1626.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 204K
  • @RobertSyrett - maybe draw a little diagram of what you're talking about because I'm not sure I get it - you can easily limit the output of the trigger by using a clamp(TriggerAB,0,1) expression that will limit A+B to a maximum of 1. Anyway, what you're asking for sounds possible to do in Audulus as-is, I just don't understand what you're saying - if that makes any sense, lol.

And thanks! I had a great Thanksgiving with the wonderful Amos Gaynes of Moog - we talked synthesizers all evening and it was wonderful (I live with his dad in Asheville).
  • Ok, reverse comicbook time. If I want to chain knobs together through levels of subpatches or assign a midi cc to a knob on a module it is (k)no problem. But the midi trigger right next to it is basically just a clickable object only. If I want to assign a midi trigger I have to use another trigger, which is kind of the opposite of a clean interface. If I want to automate toggling, I either have to use a knob and imagine it's a button or I embed a flip flop, which works alright, except it doesn't toggle the trigger on the display. I just think it would be better if the midi trigger were more like the knob.
    Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 1.48.57 AM.png
    392 x 332 - 51K
    Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 1.48.32 AM.png
    490 x 395 - 61K
    Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 2.02.12 AM.png
    464 x 476 - 57K
    Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 2.03.32 AM.png
    758 x 309 - 62K
    Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 2.13.39 AM.png
    681 x 317 - 47K