What's your top feature request for Audulus? :)
  • @AlbertGauer - what is a low pass gate? New concept to me...
  • Hello !

Maybe some of the best sub patch for a easy create....

I'm new and it s not easy to start some complex patch... (i'm french too)

Thx
  • Audulus is feature-packed and awesome. But all the zooming in and out is a strength and weakness. Matching up with a truly portalable controller would be SO VERY helpful and would inspire as well as enable to really perform and create without tiring of the iPad as a controller.
    I would love some USB controller built-in presets for portable USB powered units like the APC Key 25 that make use of keys, knobs, and a grid of pads out of the box. http://www.akaipro.com/product/apc-key-25. If we could easily edit/save/share these even better. I'm thinking preassigned controllers depending on what you are zoomed into - and lots of on/off pad assignments for pseudo cut-up fx. And step seq control from pads, with note/key input per step, plus Trig value input from the knobs per step based on favorite controller selections.
    XY grid step/note/CC mode on the array of pads would be awesome as well, where rows are always Time, and columns are always Value (be it note, CC,).
    XY grid overview of the entire patch with color coded active/inactive per node would be fantastic. Imagine being able to mute or bring in a node live from a pad/button, or hold the button and scroll on screen to reassign or edit values.
    The controller setup editor could be builtin or a separate app with minimalistic yet rich interface similar to STROM for RYTM.
    I guess #1 request would be cloning Taylor so he can sleep, test and code 24/7!
  • @audiofr3q check this out: http://hexler.net/software/touchosc
    This is what I'm planning on using along side two keyboards. The layouts can be totally customized and send whatever MIDI/OSC messages you choose. It also wirelessly communicates with with your Mac/PC. Wirelessly!!!
  • +1 for MIDI out
  • @Taylor The ability to save your sub-patch into a sub-patch library !!
  • @Taylor +1 for MIDI-OUT, yesterday I was like... how can I send MIDI to Reason and my Eurorack ...unfortunately I can't.
  • @Janvier, sub-patch library coming in 3.0 :)
  • New to the computer version: is there a drag/box select function? Can't figure out what to call this but you know how you can click and drag over files on your desktop and highlight a bunch at once? Seems like mouseclick+move=move background, but is there some alt function that does this?
  • @biminiroad, drag-selection (lasso actually) is coming in 3.0 :)
  • I can't wait for 3.0! Keep at it @Taylor :D
  • Is there a discussion for beta testing?
  • @Pfifltrigg, there isn't. We just discuss over email. But that could be a good idea. Let me think about it :)
  • Hi,

A lot of improvement can be done on oscillo and maybe it can be interesting to offer several ones !

I understand people who want only mathematics input but playable oscillo with knobs are basic features !

So I recommend to keep Graphics oscillo with the maintain of +24/-24.

+ soft sync
    + FM in (to put oscillo on oscillo)
    + knob beside value to determinate frequency (from 0 to 22.000).

- a wave table !

-On sequencer I would appreciate knob with direct frequency to adjust quickly the sequence !
    + gate out
    + glide
    + gate on/ off

A fully package with all the functionalities ! And a lot of node/patch/sub patch !

good job anyway ! Keep on !
  • An inverter !
    A rectifier (positive/ negative)
    And in the quick help, information on what kind of signal is expected ( and the maximal range). Example when I want that a square wave trig the gate in of an adsr !
  • @arkodd -

-Oscillator - the new oscillator is rebuilt from the ground up. Sounds a lot better, and also has Shape control for Square and Saw. Don't know what you mean by graphics oscillo? The oscilloscope? Its range is between -1 and 1 - you use use a mult node with a fractional multiplier to divide the wave enough to get it within the window's range. Auto-ranging would be chaotic.

-FM is something you have to build yourself - you can use an add node before the Hz input to modulate the frequency with another oscillator.

-Sequencer - not only will 3.0 come with different kinds of sequencers, it comes with a sequencer "building block" that has all the elements you need to get started. You add/trim away what you want, and arrange the front panel how you like.

-Wave tables can be approximated with a sequencer running at audio rates. The more steps you have, the higher the resolution. I'm going to include one such in my collection, though there's a good chance it will be prone to aliasing. That is something to consider for the future, though.

- There is a glide/slew/portamento module standard in the library. You can build your own sequencer with built-in glide if you want.

- Inverter will come standard in the patch library (it's just the expression or mult node with x*-1)

- Rectifier = clamp expression or range node. 0-1 for DC 0-(-1) for the negative portion of AC. Will also make this a standard module.

- Taylor and I built a Min/Max probe that can test signal swing.

- Also, you might consider using the phasor to trigger the gate - less CPU than an Osc node. Several kinds of clocks are included in the new patch library.

• Thank you for all these info !

I'm really excited to go deeply in the next version !

I will come back later when 3.0 will be available !
  • I've been meaning to post this request for a while, hope it'll make it to the new version. ;)

Could you add a midi note number output to the keyboard module, and build a separate note-to-hz node? That way it'd be easy to create regions with different sounds within a patch, and manipulating pitches/scales would become much more accessible to those of us with poor math skills (anything beyond basic arithmetics is scary to me, sorry). Plus it'd probably be super easy to do, right?

What do you think?
  • @viilis, have a look at 3.0 when it comes out. It has a library of modules that use 1unit/octave for pitch, which makes manipulating pitches as easy as using MIDI note numbers :)
  • Great! Really looking forward to the new version. Will it run on my 1st gen ipad mini, or do I need to get a newer one?
  • @viilis Taylor will have to answer this one, but I'm pretty sure all apps work on any hardware if a) you have the right OS and b) you have the right internals (like, the iPhone 5s has some extra health widgety hardware things that the iPhone 5 doesn't, so some apps that use the hardware on the 5s won't work on a 5). For Audulus, I assume, you just need to have at least 8.? iOS installed. The only thing that you might run into with a 1st gen is that you might not be able to open REALLY big patches - I mean like, hundreds and hundreds of modules - like you could on a new iPad or a computer.
  • @viilis, sorry for the slow reply. You'll need iOS 8.3. @biminiroad is right, the 1st gen mini might not be able to run complex patches.
  • I'd like to host a pile of LFOs and other such amusements in audulus—so I'm officially requesting MIDI-out.

Make that ROBUST MIDI-out, please.
    * Assignable CCs
    * clock out (might as well clock in, too)
    * granular channel support (assign channels per subpatch or per node)
    * CoreMIDI/Virtual MIDI necessary (iOS user, primarily)

• Seconding MIDI out. It would also be nice for controller feedback so we could build interactive controller based instruments in audulus, like people do with Max/MSP.
  • A good old manual, with detailled functions of every module and tutorials, more tutorials, lots of tutorials. Please

Clock in/out
    Midi out
  • Suggestions
    -Settings page resize on iPhone. On my 4s the right side of the settings are cut off
    -Add red (or appropriate color) dot in centre of connected input/output. So when zoomed in gives a visual of connected (certain cases wires may make it difficult to tell)
    -Change top left icon to square within square(or similar). Highlight inner square when inside module, highlight outer square when viewing full patch. A visual warning before exiting to menu
    -and/or 'save as' 'discard changes' on exit
    -lock icon should lock when selected. Not sure if this is how it was meant to work or not but currently it does not seem to change when enabled or disabled
    -when in locked mode should be able to pan and zoom just not move nodes or controls or cables. Not sure if i'm missing something here making this a bad idea.
    -select/tap node on canvas to display name of node somewhere on the screen fade in, fade out. Or perhaps better to display name of node above or at side of node while selected and disappears when deselected.
    -remember last patch menu state on load. List or thumb
    -move cpu% over towards left corner, then make 3 adjacent buttons larger/wider
    -option to view node list in text mode as in patch selection menu(?not important/good idea)
    -add info icon next to nodes for brief description

Admittedly I have not played around very much (a couple of days now), so some of these things may not be as necessary as I get further into it. Hope they don't look too unreasonable.
    Also, if at all possible improve performance on iPad mini (1st gen). I am getting some crashes that are scaring me. I'd be happy with just about any graphical sacrifice for improved performance. Ideally that's not necessary and some things can be tweaked to help.

Thank you for this wonderful app!!

EDIT: I've now added to my synth test patch. It is still basic but has 4 oscillators, delay, filters and an attenuator. Not having any problems so far with it on the mini. Still scared though and exit out occasionally to save progress as I was having crashing problems when just using one oscillator resulting in lost patch and having to start over. Thankfully it was a small patch and being a beginner didn't mind repeating the process learning as I built.
    Now...to the sequencers!
    Also, this is some of the best fun I've had on my iPad!
  • +1 for folders, and also the lock icon, maybe a 'cut' in menu to paste (instead of copy, pasting, deleting original) :) great job so far though, i think tutorials and education is important too, so maybe a list of links to helpful information which we can learn and apply within audulus
  • @DrYes - All great suggestions - the iPhone 4 thing concerns me - can you upload a screenshot (menu button+power button at the same time) of it being cut off? The browser naturally looks "cut off" because it's scrolling to the other modules to the right, but if you're saying it looks more cut-off than the iPhone 5 videos, then we have a problem. Taylor ran the iPhone 4 in the simulator and it's obviously considerably smaller than the 5 version, so maybe you're not taking that into account? Your screen won't look like iPhone video demos because I'm using a 5 when I make them. Honestly, iPhone 4 is pretty old, and though it will run Audulus, you're not going to be able to use some of the best patches simply because they'll take up more CPU time than the iPhone 4 has. I'm so, SO sympathetic to the Apple wheel-of-fortune spent just to not be obsolete, but there's a reason Audulus doesn't run on the iPhone 3, or 2, or 1. Minimum requirements for any type of program really should be taken as "It will work, but not as well as it should." You're getting the "graphics turned all the way down, no antialiasing, no dynamic shadows" version of Audulus (like I have to do with my video games since I didn't opt for the nicer video card). The same deal applies to the iPad mini. I'm sorry my friend, you're just running on the low-end. Audulus is functional, but Audulus is also for the future. Do you really want Taylor to spend more time optimizing Audulus for old tech that you'll probably sell in a year or two? Or would you rather he spend his time making new features for everyone? I'm not trying to sound cross - I'm not - I just offer it up as something you may not have considered.

As for some of your requests:

"-Add red (or appropriate color) dot in centre of connected input/output. So when zoomed in gives a visual of connected (certain cases wires may make it difficult to tell)"

You can do this yourself by putting an RGB node inside the patch, exposing it, and placing the light on top of the input/output you want. To keep it lit permanently, you can just wire up a value of 1 to whatever color you want. Keep in mind the light has to be created after the output for it to be "on top" - there isn't an explicit layer system (and really, adding one would be messy and not really all that useful), but the rule is the last thing created is what's "on top."

-and/or 'save as' 'discard changes' on exit

I agree with this one. @Taylor If someone's using iPad for performance, they'd have to zero out their synths to their "default" or "starting" setting after each playthrough. Also just more useful in general.

-when in locked mode should be able to pan and zoom just not move nodes or controls or cables. Not sure if i'm missing something here making this a bad idea.

You are missing something! Haha :) It's easy to accidentally hit a module and move it rather than the knob, especially during a heated performance. If you want to maximize the screen real estate for controllable items. I'm actually at a loss to know what you're envisioning your "locked" mode to be - if you can zoom in and out, pan, and move modules, how is that different from the unlocked mode? Also, you definitely want to be able to move cables. Live patching is an integral feature of Audulus.

-select/tap node on canvas to display name of node somewhere on the screen fade in, fade out. Or perhaps better to display name of node above or at side of node while selected and disappears when deselected.

I doubt this will ever happen. For one, you're new to Audulus, and maybe it's difficult for you to tell the modules apart from far away, but as you get used to what they all look like, you don't even really need the names to help you anymore. Besides, you can just zoom in and out quickly to check. There's no way that building a new feature to do what you're asking could be any faster than just zooming in and out. I zoom in and out like a madman when I'm designing - look at this speed patching video:

-remember last patch menu state on load. List or thumb

what do you mean by this?

-option to view node list in text mode as in patch selection menu

This is what the computer is for. If you're really interested in going deep with Audulus, and find that you're fighting against the UI of the iOS version to design quickly, well, I agree - iOS is not ideal for patch designing. Your old hardware is also not ideal for designing. You can work much faster and much larger on a computer. What iOS excels at that computers don't is portability and the touch screen. Computer for designing, iOS for performance. If you watch my patch module library intro video you'll see I'm actually still a little lost on the new UI - I simply do not use the iPad at all unless I'm making a video for you guys, or optimizing something for live performance.

And anyway, it just wouldn't work - you need to have a minimum footprint size on iOS for recognizable touches, so the text would have to be larger than you're probably imagining, and then the new problem would probably be accidentally pulling the wrong module out.

Again, especially since you're on an iPhone 4, I really suggest getting the computer version. You're going to hit a wall fairly soon if you're trying to dig deep on that tiny screen!

-add info icon next to nodes for brief description

This is what the documentation is for. Adding an info icon - well, there's no space, number one, and two, there isn't much of a reason for it. The nodes that people would most likely need to constantly refresh their memories on are probably too complicated to be summed up in a sentence that's short enough to display. The sentence would have to be so terse, it wouldn't really be helpful. There are like 23 things you can do with the expression node - what could you have pop up that could ever be useful for that?

You'll learn the nodes soon. It doesn't take as long as you think. However, I don't use all of Audulus's nodes, at least not yet. Some of them, like the bi-quad, I just simply don't get right now - I just haven't invested the time in understanding them. Also, I really recommend you design with the modules, not the nodes. The nodes are there for people who want to study designs at a fundamental level, or make their patches the smallest size possible. Because there are more UI elements in a patch created with modules, it is larger, but it's like the difference between 2.5 and 3 megs or something for a big patch. Depends on your design. The patches are larger in file size but it doesn't take any more CPU time to run a patch made with modules.

Designing with modules also makes your patches easier to read for other people who are studying your design. You can think of modules as a "grammar" of Audulus that you can use if you choose. I feel like if people get a lot out of other people's patches, you should do the Golden Rule and make your patches look like how you wish other people would make them. Categorical imperative, baby. :)

Hope all that helps, and feel free to ask any more new questions you may now have ;)
  • Is a system to make his own shortcuts something we might see in the future?
  • @biminiroadbiminiroad
    "All great suggestions - the iPhone 4 thing concerns me - can you upload a screenshot (menu button+power button at the same time) of it being cut off?The same deal applies to the iPad mini. I'm sorry my friend, you're just running on the low-end. Audulus is functional, but Audulus is also for the future. Do you really want Taylor to spend more time optimizing Audulus for old tech that you'll probably sell in a year or two? Or would you rather he spend his time making new features for everyone? I'm not trying to sound cross - I'm not - I just offer it up as something you may not have considered."

I will upload the screenshot in a bit.
    I totally agree with everything you are saying. I am all for progress. Devices become obsolete. Too bad for them. I'm only reporting and trying to think up ways to make the older but still supported experience easier on the eyes fingers and hardware. I don't expect to be able to run the heavier patches. I am happy to have audulus 3 running on my 4s and mini, period. And so far (outside of the occasional crashes) I'm finding the performance to be very acceptable.

"-when in locked mode should be able to pan and zoom just not move nodes or controls or cables. Not sure if i'm missing something here making this a bad idea.

You are missing something! Haha :) It's easy to accidentally hit a module and move it rather than the knob, especially during a heated performance. If you want to maximize the screen real estate for controllable items. I'm actually at a loss to know what you're envisioning your "locked" mode to be - if you can zoom in and out, pan, and move modules, how is that different from the unlocked mode? Also, you definitely want to be able to move cables. Live patching is an integral feature of Audulus."

I meant to say not move modules as well. The idea was to allow for the patch to be explored and tweaked without worrying about anything moving on you. Pan and zoom being 2 finger actions are safe enough from "accidents" happening. And yes should not have said cables. Need live patching. My idea of lock mode was to have the modules and nodes fixed in place but still allow for pan and zoom.

"-remember last patch menu state on load. List or thumb

what do you mean by this?"

On load, the main patch menu displays in thumb view. I usually tap the up down arrow to view in text list mode. So I don't have to worry about crashing while I watch the images load;)
    Thought it might be nice to have the last view used load on startup as I am now tapping the icon every time anyway. Not a big issue obviously. As long as audulus doesn't crash here. And not sure how easy this is to implement.

"Hope all that helps, and feel free to ask any more new questions you may now have ;)"

It did. Appreciate it seriously. Your work is very inspiring.
    image.jpg
    960 x 640 - 62K
  • I just purchased the Mac version. Super impressed.

I'd love to see the inclusion of 'command +' and 'command -' keyboard shortcuts for zooming.
  • @ToyDivision - do you have scroll wheel? I just use that. But I hear you - lots of people want custom-mappable options, like even for the lasso tool and such - could be a possibility, but so many more things to add before we get to little stuff like that, I hope you understand! Things like MIDI out and more new nodes. You want those more, mirite?! :)

also, check out this cover I did of Disorder a few years back with Ableton - the guitar is actually an acoustic! even the bass! (just pitched down, LPF'd) recorded with the built-in iMac mic. Forgive the repetitive drums, I'm not much of a drum programmer.

https://soundcloud.com/biminiroadmusic/disorder-joy-division-cover
  • @biminiroad - my scroll wheel is on the way out. =)

I think it's the programmer in me (VIM user) that just finds keyboard navigation a little easier and faster.

And yes, MIDI out etc.. should be the priority. Just thought I'd plant the seed for future updates as I imagine it would probably be a 'low hanging fruit' kind of addition.
  • @ToyDivision, there are great low-hanging fruit stuff that needs to happen - like even an X/Y controller shouldn't be too hard to make, let alone a fader. It's just a time issue - Taylor's putting out fires right now for Mac and iOS AND still working on Windows port, so it'll be a little bit till he gets back to adding new features. I totally agree though there's a long list of "little adds" that could help audulus explode, and taylor and I have talked at great length about these kinds of additions.
  • I've spent the past few hours reading through the forums and I'm really impressed by the development so far. It really deserves to explode.

I picked up Reaktor 6 last week (loving it), but Audulus has actually got me more excited.
  • I'm new to the program/forum and haven't read all the entries yet, but being able to exit from a patch without saving changes is pretty important to me.
  • @Balfour23 - I just talked to Taylor about a feature that is ALREADY IN Audulus 3, just not visible to users yet - It's better than what you're asking for. Way better. WAY WAY better.

Just give him a little time to catch up with Windows and bugs and whatnot. It will be worth the wait. It's actually a feature as revolutionary to Audulus as the module library is. It does what you want to accomplish and much, much more.
  • @biminiroad - that sounds good! My future patches thank you.
  • I would like to see built-in nodes for Fast Fourier Transformations! That would open Audulus up to a whole new range of creative spectral effects. :D
    This seems possible to create now using the built-in nodes, but the result would be extremely inefficient compared a built-in one.

Oh, and I know that there was a rule about only one suggestion, but I just have to add a tiny extra one. I'm using Audulus on an iPad. The press-and-hold-the-screen-to-bring-up-the-menu action seems to take like, a third of a second longer than I would like it to. It would be awesome if I could set the duration required to perform this action in the settings.
    It may also be possible that the animation that plays as the menu is brought up is slightly too long, which could also be why I think it takes forever to pull up the menu. When you press-and-hold text in iOS, a little magnifying glass pops up. The animation length for the magnifying glass would probably be ideal for your menu animation.
  • @Alexander, nice, @JDRaoul just asked me about FTs yesterday. What's something that uses those that you really like? Love to check it out.

As for the radial menu - some people have problems with it popping up when they don't want to. If it popped up faster, it would be very annoying. We considered getting rid of the radial menu for iOS, but some people really love it, and the people who love it love it more than the people who hate it hate it, if that makes sense.

The menu? Are you talking about the tags button? That does load too slowly - Taylor will fix that in a future release. The problem is the ALL the tags are scanned every time you press the button. He just needs to put a little more time into optimizing it.
  • @biminiroad - One thing you can do is perform spectral panning. Like an equalizer where instead of controlling the amplitude of frequency ranges you control their L/R position in the mix. Last month I wrote some code that does this and oscillates the panning of the frequency ranges at different rates. The result is pretty cool. It's something I'd like to write an app for, but converting my Java code over into iOS has proven to be an absolute nightmare for me to work out. :P

I really feel like opening up Fourier Transformations would be a pretty smart move. Breaking down a waveform into sub-waveforms and using them to build something new? I think that would suit Audulus quite well.

As for the menu, I was exclusively talking about the radial menu. I actually quite like it. I just wish that it popped up faster. If you're set on keeping the press length the same, I would at least make the animation a bit faster.
  • @Alexander I wonder if we could harness the Biquad node to do some of this. Certainly bands of frequencies could be isolated. But the Biquad math is still over my head -- never mind Fourier.
    @afta8 has done some work with the Biquad and there are a few patches that use it on the forum. I hope he'll update them to work with A3.
  • @Alexander - the animation could be faster, yes @Taylor I kinda agree on that, if it's possible. It's a tiny bit of slowness introduced that doesn't necessarily need to be there. The thing is, though if it popped up faster, as in, it popped up with less time pressing the screen, you would be accidentally opening the radial menu all the time. It would annoy you, trust me. I'm really trying to encourage people to think about using Audulus on a computer if you're serious about patch design. iOS is great for performance, but designing on a computer goes 100x faster.

• @biminroad
    IPad -> cold dead hands.
    I know you're right about power and speed but I am addicted to the touch interface., it's part of the pleasure I get from working with Audulus and the iPad.
    The power constraint dictates my no-frills design philosophy which I also enjoy.
  • see, @JDRaoul is exactly the type of iPad user who love it for what it is, mirite? I'd also argue that deliberately choosing to work on the iPad is a strength because it can make you think up more clever, low-CPU solutions. ALL I'm saying here is that it goes faster on a computer. :)
  • @JDRaoul - I actually don't know why Fast Fourier Transformations work, but the process itself isn't too difficult.

Let's say you have a waveform. For this example I'll describe the data on the waveform with letters instead of numbers. The number of pieces of data you need must be a power of two, so I'll use 8 pieces of data, ABCDEFGH.

First, you divide this waveform into two groups. Remember back in grade school when the teacher would divide the class into groups by counting off "1, 2, 1, 2, etc."? That's what we do here. We can think of these as "odd" and "even" groups.

ABCDEFGH
    Becomes...
    ACEG(odd) and BDFH(even)

We do this again to the subgroups.

ACEG(odd) and BDFH(even)
    Becomes...
    AE(odd), CG(even), BF(odd), DH(even)
    And finally...
    A(odd), E(even), C(odd), G(even), B(odd), F(even), D(odd), H(even)

Once you've got everything all squared away, you're ready to start working your way back up the chain. It's a bunch of Complex Number math (which isn't hard, contrary to its name).
    Essentially 8 Real Numbers go in, 8 Complex Numbers come out.
    Weirdly enough, the result is almost a number palindrome, (1 2 3 4 5 4 3 2)
    so we only need to look at the first [8/2]+1 numbers. I don't know why the first number isn't replicated, but that's the way it works.
    As for what each number represents, take your sample rate and divide it by [8/2]+1. So if we have a sample rate of 44100, each Complex Number represents a frequency range of 8820 Hz.
    Each Complex Number, when run through an equation and that gives you the amplitude of the frequency range for the FIRST frame of our input. So when we put in the wave form ABCDEFGH, the output describes the frequency information for frame A. To find the data for frame B we will need to perform a Fourier transformation on BCDEFGHI. C would be CDEFGHIJ. Etc.

Again, you can perform FFTs on larger arrays to get smaller frequency ranges, but the ranges must be a power of 2, and every time you increase the size the number of computations you have to do doubles.

I have absolutely no idea why this works, but it does, and it's awesome. :D
  • I think a file or sample player would be great. Load up the sound via Dropbox. The node could have start, loop, and end knobs so you can use it for granular or wave table synthesis while also using it as an input source for mangling
  • I wrote something dumb here. Ignore this comment.
  • @Alexander You get a pass after that erudite explanation. Thanks.