What's your top feature request for Audulus? :)
  • @BTL, well I might as well add global supersampling and then we can see how much it hurts performance.
  • @Taylor....sounds like a good place to start...will we see this in the next beta set?
  • No one has mentioned Inter App Audio.
  • @BTL, not sure yet.

@JDRaoul, the 2.8 beta updates AudioBus to the latest version, which enables IAA. I tried it with GarageBand and it seems to work as an effect but not an instrument. More debugging!
  • And what about Midi out in 2.9 to control another apps from Audulus?
  • +1 MIDI out!

However, my big wish is for Audulus widgets to interface to the Expert Sleepers range of modular CV and audio interface modules - see http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/hardware.html. The Expert Sleepers Silent Way software works well, but it is very much oriented to use within a traditional DAW environment. There are Max/MSP externals to interface to the ES hardware modules, would be fantastic if Audulus offered similar interfaces. There is one third-party tool of which I am aware that works with the Expert Sleepers hardware: CV Toolkit - see http://www.spektroaudio.com/cv-toolkit-standalone/ - it is a lot of fun to play with, but ultimately too limited and inflexible - every time I use it, I end up thinking "I wish I could use Audulus instead to generate these control signals."

Note also that although the Expert Sleepers modules are the best and easiest way to generate software-driven CV for modular synths (other than MIDI-CV convertors, but the Expert Sleepers stuff is much more flexible and general-purpose than a MIDI-CV convertor), it is entirely possible to generate useful CVs from just about any audio interface, whether it is DC-coupled or not, with a very simple circuit that just about anyone can build into a patch cord - see http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13698&start=all&postdays=0&postorder=asc - no need to purchase Expert Sleepers hardware. Would be great if Audulus could support this technique as well (in fact, all the Expert Sleepers modules use that technique, but they provide support for SPDIF and ADAT interfaces, rather than just direct AC-coupled audio out).
  • This may be covered elsewhere and could be related to wavetables but...
    What about a granular synth / buffer sampler something like what you can do in Max/MSP / PD. Yes I know Apesoft probably have that covered with Density and Pulsaret but I'm thinking something that can be modulated / scanned by an LFO and that can also be used to trigger stuff (like in Kaivo).
  • +1 to non-volatile memory (or S+H nodes that retain their state between saves)

My personal suggestion is for a sampler node which can record from an input and has controls for playback speed, position/offset, direction and number of samples to be recorded

Maybe these could be combined, so a memory node is one way to use a sampler node. E.g recording size is just one sample long which would let you store a value between -1 to 1.
  • @afta8 That has been my hidden agenda all along.
  • Hi Taylor

One thing that is continually getting in my way at the moment (and it always takes me by surprise) is when I click a couple of times in succession on a trigger button in a drum patch (which you find yourself doing to audition the sound). The whole image zooms in & I have to zoom out again to carry on.
    Could the zoom function be activated elsewhere do you think?

Thanks.
  • @JackOats, that's a bug and I will fix it :)
  • MIDI out is in the lead with 3 votes!
  • Id love to see an input feature on the Plug-Ins!! So it is a true performance modulator!!

Please read on for an extended description:

**In summary, what I am hoping to see ASAP is:**

input on Plug-In's for performance use

(Raw) DAW midi signals. They would speak to the VST's that have been pre-programmed to work with them. The VST is displaying 100% readiness just like loading it without Audulus.

**Longer term hope:**

Audio input from the DAW. Like a true modular system

**Current Issue:**

You have to manually mouse click the VST keyboard.
  • sampling! Something along the lines of the sampling modules in Reaktor that would fit with the audulus workflow. Of course you can sample with it not just rompler style.
  • And another vote for MIDI out. :-)
  • Buchla style /Triangle core analog oscillator.
    It will be absolutely awesome.

+ 1 for wavetables by @Sinapsya
  • Control Voltage to connect with any CV gear could be small step for man. Giant leap for mankind. We know - MIDI has low resolution, however there is an midi manufacturers assosiation which make some labors about MIDI HD, but how many years we have to wait for better Midi? http://www.midi.org/aboutus/news/hd.php
    There is also other solution - Measurement Computing USB (DAQ) multifunction data acquisition boards and modules, which can send and receive voltages through USB http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/pl/nid/201986
    http://www.mccdaq.com/solutions/USB-Multifunction-DAQ.aspx
    I think the Expert Sleepers modules are similar, but they are a kind of audio interface (am I right?). I tried to use Audio interface to connect Audulus to Doepfer's Dark Energy - yeah its working, but required attenuators to get 5 Volts on Outputs.
    I found also some post concerning about integration Audulus with OWL. I think it could be interesting to have a solid piece of hardware with knobs, buttons or faders with Audulus patches in digital heart. Imagine your own multieffect for guitar, vocal, custom synth or whatever you want.
    However iPad itself is good controller - just need some improves about "control surface" like multitouch, some more knob colors. In fact the virtual knob on iPad has much better resolution than midi. Cons - iPad is small. Too small to imitate real modular. I like to feel real knobs.
  • Presets on iPad.
  • There is some idea - Volta by MOTU. I found the MOTU has some dc coupled audio interfaces which can deal somehow with CV synth. Check also this: http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/siwaacencoder.html
  • +1 for Wavetables
  • 1) ability to expose Contstant and Level knobs as config inputs on the AU

This would be tremendously useful for a number of things (Automation in Logic for instance), but probably the most useful thing for me is that it would allow me to less clumsily use my various Audulus contraptions in Mainstage.

2) ability to expose waveform and level monitor nodes in sub-patches

nice to have some visual feedback on the panels of my various sub-patches :-)
  • + 1 for midi output
    (and wavetable/sample thing)
  • I feel somethink...Midi out is in the air:)
  • In the distant future, an app that builds virtual instruments based on the acoustic properties of various materials and shapes. For example, you'd choose an "oscillator" consisting of a string or a reed or some other quasi-natural source of vibration, couple it with a method of activation (wind, for example, or striking with various materials or drawing a bow across it) a resonating cavity and material.

So, if you were given to flights of fancy (as I obviously am) you could create a digital simulation of an instrument consisting of a 30 foot copper-wound metal string under 10 tons of tension housed in a concrete tunnel 10 feet in diameter, that you would strike with a metal hammer. Or any number of much less esoteric virtual instruments.
  • +1 for MIDI out here too :-)

Only discovered Audulus yesterday and having a fantastic time with it. I think it would be a wicked tool for creating various MIDI effects. I'll reserve my feature request for a little later - I've only just started to get to grips with it...
  • Definitely a +1 for host parameter automation in the plugin version. It would be great to be able to define which parameters are exposed via the right click context menu, so the lists back in the DAW don't get huge.

... and an option for vertical mouse value dragging instead of horizontal ;-)
  • @Taylor -

Functionality (my #1):

When using a CV to modulate a knob, I want to be able to toggle the modulation off and regain control over the knob without breaking the connection.

Yellow = No Mod ; Blue = Mod ; Red = Mod off, but connected (or something like that).

Make sense?

Community experience (I guess this counts as my +1 for @Ripper7620):
    - Audulus, while a powerful platform itself, is ultimately a community-oriented program. I'm building the sequencer of my dreams, but I couldn't do it without the help of these wonderful people on this forum. If you're not connected to the community, you might be wasting time frustrated and hating Audulus trying to build something someone's already done a million times over and in different ways.

I don't know what percentage of people who pick up Audulus go to the forum and look for new patches (some people just aren't forum-inclined). Judging by how few posts there are by how few people, maybe not that much...A way to share and collaborate without nailing everything on the web-based forum is to have an in-app connection to other people's patches online. I'm envisioning a drop-down menu with categories that link to a description, picture, and download link.

In other words, there are people who are probably down with sharing, but not with rooting through forums to find what they're looking for - making this in-app and easier would help foster the community.

This might count as another request, but a sub-feature of this might be a "request" function - a message that goes out that says, "Hey, I need this thing that does such and such - can someone design it for me?" People can vote for designs and the cream rises to the top?
  • First let me say that Audulus has made this 50-something composer and synth-tinkerer a kid with a new toy. Kudos, Taylor, on your great app! I'm running the OS X version on my Fall 2009 iMac (yep, that's right--have yet to encounter any issues, but time will tell :). I have the Custom Nodes and Math Expression add-ons, both of which I consider a "must".

My feature request is another +1 for automatable values in the AU plugin. I've experimented with Midi Learn, and it does indeed work; however in Logic 9 (and I suspect in many other DAWs) parameter automation is seamless and much less clonky. And it seems to be standard equipment in softsynths in general. I truly believe that including this feature would make an already awesome app even more so by improving its usability inside DAWs/sequencers.
  • Just a thought (a down the road kinda thing) but more easy to use/manipulate text might make it easier for people to add in-design explanations of circuits.
  • +1 on Expert Sleepers support. Actually all it requires is multi-channel class compliant USB audio. I'm running my ipad into a USBstreamer and from there into Expert Sleepers ES-3. Works brilliantly but can only use 2 of the 8 channels out from Audulus at the moment.
  • @Neo, hmm. Maybe it wouldn't be too hard to increase that count. I'll look into that.
  • @taylor While looking at the channel count, what about multiple Audiobus/IAA inputs (for effect and output slots) and outputs (for input slots)?
  • Hi all, just joining in on the fun ;)

Sorry if this has been requested before, but I find myself wishing for a qwerty-keyboard module when fiddling with Audulus on my macbook at night and no midi keyboard at hand. I know you can work around it by opening Audulus in a DAW etc, but it would be nice to just create->midi->qwerty-keyboard or something like that.
  • @fredskij, good idea. Perhaps rather than a new module, it could just be a mode on the keyboard module.
  • Sounds perfect :) I love supporting products like this with a great community and a great developer!
  • +1 sampling please :)
    This would be a game changer for two reasons.
    1. Sound Samples, obviously. It would be great to have complex waveforms a trigger away. However, it would be even more Audulusious to record on-the-fly from inside the app. What I propose is the future sample node that @Taylor describes in the Nodes Reference, with three extra inputs besides "trigger". It would have an "input" input for receiving audio, a "record" input for triggering record mode, and a "stop" input. Each time it records would be a fresh start, dumping the current sample if there is one. The sample would be non-volatile like a constant knob.
    Think of the possibilities! The "trigger" input could be used like the "sync" input on oscillator nodes. The "record" and "trigger" could be used together to make custom delay and reverb patches.
    2. Data Samples, less obviously. Pair the sample node with a seq16 who's clock runs at the sample rate. Connect the seq16's step output to a lessthan to stop the recording after 16 steps. Now you have a very short sample that contains 16 values for use as control messages. They could be a note sequence saved for later, a preset of all the controls in your patch, or a harmonic spectrum for additive synthesis. Whoa!
  • + 1 What ceilidhshipley said. :P
  • @ceilidhshipley do "trigger" and "stop" have to be separate? It seems like the trigger could cycle start/stop (unless I'm missing something?). If you put a momentary switch on trigger it will only record as long as you press it which might be better for capturing small short snippets
  • Also the momentary switch might open up looping possibilities? Have it the trigger connected to a midi foot switch or something like that?
  • Oooh yeah! foot switch looping, great fun.
    I'm thinking of the the "trigger" input as a play button, that starts or restarts the sample each time it's triggered. Think drums. The "stop" input stops whatever is going on, be it playback or recording. This means you can choose to stop audio coming from the node when you're done recording a sample. However if you wish to immediately playback what you've recorded, use the "trigger" while recording. This will stop recording and immediately begin playback. Think loop pedal. I think I have that right.
    That being said I'm ok with any old sample node as long as it doesn't choke my cpu.
  • Is it possible to add an extra output on the MIDI keyboard node for the mod wheel?
  • Use midi learn, I think that works with it
  • Yes the mod wheel, and the sustain pedal are both midi, so midi learn will work. The pitch wheel is not however. It is an independent signal that sends a very high resolution range of values. 0-16383 rather than the usual 0-127. It does this by combining two midi bytes together (128 x 128). I think pitch wheel support is pretty critical because it is very clumsy to implement with the normal midi range and without an auto-centering wheel.
    I am, however, getting dangerously close to breaking the rules of the thread by casting two votes, so let me wrap this up. As much as I like the idea of sample nodes, if I have to choose between samples and a pitch wheel, it's a pitch wheel for me. Audulus already has incredible flexibility without samples, but the lack of a pitch wheel is holding back the performance end of things, for me anyway.
    That's my final answer. I promise I won't change my mind again :)

-1 sample node
    +1 pitch wheel
  • Pitches get stitches @ceilidhshipley
  • I would love to see the ability to use the keyboard node to program frequencies into step sequencers, rather than having to input each specific note value manually, and/or the ability to click and drag the frequency value on the step sequencer as an alternative to having to use a keyboard to input the value each time.

Also, as mentioned above, the ability to use a qwerty keyboard as a control for the MIDI keyboard, like musical typing in Logic or Garageband would be amazing to have :)
  • @Romshua, give this a try: http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/480#Item_1

That's exactly what I wanted when I built it.
  • +1 for @biminiroad's biminipuns
  • We could have a Low Pass Gate node, would be sweet for some Buchla bongos action! Something we could change the fade out time of the virtual vactrols
  • My vote goes to the memory node or perhaps a data write for the mux or seq16 that writes permanently to the node. For me it's more for the ability to switch between various settings on nodes. How to handle routing changes in the presets with all the possibilities is over my head still but so is all the calculus behind the engine ... And I love it.