Sample Module?
  • Hi, I've recently downloaded the Mac desktop version of Audulus. The description in the app store listed one of the built-in modules as a sample player. How do I access and use this feature?
  • Hi @MillyRad, welcome to the forum!

To use the Sample player node, right click on the background, select the Synth category, and select Sample. Then, to load a sample file (AIFF format only currently), right click on the node and select Load File.

The sample node will begin playing back the sample when its input is greater than zero. For example, you can hook up a Trigger (MIDI -> Trigger) module to trigger the sample node.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask! :-)

cheers
    - Taylor
  • Is the sample player a future feature for the iOS version? Can't see it anywhere, but I could be missing something?
  • Thanks! I found it, but I'm having trouble getting it to work. Is the simplest configuration trigger -> sample -> output to hear the .aiff file?
  • @thinds, yes is only on the Mac version. I'm going to overhaul it and add it on iOS in a future version.

@MillyRad, yep, that's the simplest configuration. I'll build an example patch.
  • Okay, It's working now. I think I must have had a bad sample file. I'm hearing weird meows just fine now! :)
  • One more question: The original sample file, when previewed, plays for a little less than 2 seconds. When it's triggered to play in Audulus, the sample is slowed down to about 3 seconds, while the pitch remains the same. Is there any way to adjust the speed of the sample?
  • @MillyRad, glad its working!

What's the sample rate of the original file? The Sample Node currently assumes the file is at 44.1kHz.

I'm afraid the currently isn't a way to adjust the playback speed. However, I'm planning on overhauling the Sample Node so it will have a playhead input instead of a trigger input. This means you will be able to play back the sample at any speed :-).

- Taylor
  • Playhead input? That means doors wide open for wave scanning techniques. And if you pick the same sample / sampler multiple times, you could create grain synthesis?
  • @medienhexer, yes, in fact you could do granular stuff by using a single sample node with a polyphonic input. I'm also working on some improvements to increase polyphony.

cheers
    - Taylor
  • @Taylor, Thanks! I played around with the sample rate settings on my audio conversion app and got it sounding right. As of today, I have six sample nodes, each with a cat sound, connected to a pitch shift node. It's a small cat piano! :)

The main project I'm working on has piezo sensors as triggers and Audulus playing the samples. I'll be setting it up at a kids' festival so that the kids can jump on the sensors (they'll be padded, of course, and on the ground) to make silly noises! Not the most sophisticated use of Audulus, I'm sure, but it's working great and should be a lot of fun. Thank you for your help!

• That sounds cool. I hope the kids like it. I love hearing about novel ways to Audulate.
  • @MillyRad, that's excellent! I love that you're using Audulus at a kids' festival :-)

cheers
    - Taylor