• Audulus made tremendous progress in 2013! Some of the highlights:

- an Audio Engine rewrite
    - Expression Node
    - Poly Pack
    - Custom Nodes
    - Timing Mode
    - Browser Improvements
    - iCloud

Here's to a productive 2014! Things are looking good :-)

Oh, and I've submitted Audulus 2.6 to beta testers!

cheers
    - Taylor
  • Backatcha, T
    When you embarked on this project did you anticipate the human aspect?
    Thousands of new friends clamoring for favors, for intervention from on high.
    A cult that lauds you as its deity.
    Or was that your plan all along?
  • @JDRaoul, haha, well yes world domination via modular synth software was the plan all along!

Now if only I can figure out how to do single-sample feedback without ruining performance. Its really racking my brain! (another feature that empowers users to build things, rather than having to wait for me :-)

cheers
    -Taylor
  • "world domination via modular synth software was the plan all along!"

very good response to an equally good satyric question I must say. And about feedback/performance, this seems to be a very difficult thing to compute in real-time. I just read from Urs Heckmann how they did the Diva filters. Very complicated stuff, and demanding at minimum a 4-core CPU for polyphony, and hosts that support multicore. It's crazy, but it pays back with really nice emulation of filter circuits almost like real.

Not having the luxury of that CPU power on the iPad for example probably forces you to a compromise I guess. Which is fine, I think Audulus sounds not too bad as it is.

What I was thinking since a long time, why do all virtual modular softwares include polyphony per oscillator? It's not the real approach as an emulation, and as we learned during the years, it does also not work well sound-wise. In my opinion a virtual modular should be programmed like a real modular system. Using resources where they are important. In the filter section for example.

If one wants polyphony, one has to wire each VCO to an alternating keyboard input. With a complete VCA/VCF/ADSR/etc. for each voice. Then you have a true emulation of a multi-voice polyphonic synth, if the CPU can handle it in real-time. I think that multi-voice emulation made the OP-X so famous. Suddenly a softsynth started to sound like a real poly analog synth although there were many before (but they didn't include that multi-voice emulation).

There will be a time where CPU power won't be a barrier anymore, but maybe this is ten years in the future. Until then we must work with what we have, and it's already very powerful I think.

Maybe you can relax for a time and enjoy what you've created. I think you deserved it. Not against new nodes and innovations, but there is time enough in spring and summer. I think.
  • Hey @Phil999, to answer your question about polyphony per oscillator, assuming I understand it correctly: In Audulus, you can set up a complete VCA/VCF/ADSR per voice if you put the PolyToMono node after all those nodes. Sound quality doesn't suffer and polyphony is just a convenience so you don't have to make multiple nodes. Audulus gives you precise control :-)

Thanks for the kind words about relaxing a bit... the problem is that I have to keep a steady stream of new features coming out to make enough revenue. No rest for the wicked! (and as you know my goal is world domination, so I am indeed wicked)

cheers
    - Taylor
  • Dang. I was hoping for a Benevolent Übernërd.
  • right, setting the PolyToMono node at the right place should make multi-voice polyphony possible. Although I generally use Audulus like a classic monophonic modular and effect unit.

I'm curious what this single-sample feedback will bring to Audulus, if it's possible at all.