uModular Collection Beta
  • We are totally off topic btw, but WTF, is that the same dcramer from muffwiggler forum?
    https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=11073

As I found out playing online videogames, it is easy to pass someone on the leaderboards when they aren't playing. I hope that taylor finds his way back to the forums at some point, although I understand that he is probably busy diversifying his app portfolio right now.
  • Personally I would find that quite confusing. Feedback on a filter is more or less resonance. But yes, I think 6 knobs would be quite useful for filters. Features I would like to see on a filter would be 1/o tracking and for the SEM filter the mode sweep with the bp toggle. Catch you latta!
  • @biminiroad This is what I had in mind for the audio light/clip. Green/blue for audio with the red channel reserved for clipping.
    Audio light modified.audulus
  • Girlfriend went to sleep early, so here is the DLX SEM. I didn't know exactly why people liked the octave input until just now. It kinda "opens up" the filter and makes it sound more organic, less static.

Feedback is the audio output of the module fed back to the cutoff.

There's now a clip light on the cutoff so you can tell when you've overshot the maximum of the filter. Helpful when combining modulation into the cutoff knob and the modulation input AND the feedback all at the same time.

Maybe it's just me but it's crazy how good it sounds just with one simple oscillator. Thanks everyone for helping this is shaping up to be the best update to Audulus since 3 came out.
    SEM LPF DLX Demo.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 11.02.44 PM.png
    1856 x 1308 - 412K
    SEM LPF DLX Demo 2.audulus
  • Oh and as for the multimode, there will be a separate multimode deluxe version of this (and other filters). On those it will sub out the feedback control for the multimode.
  • Here's a fun noise snare
    Noise Snare Demo.audulus
    Noise Snare.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 12.07.32 AM.png
    1756 x 1180 - 316K
  • Round robin distributor for making a poly patch that has different voices but playing from the same sequencer.
    Round Robin Octave Distributor x4 Demo.audulus
    Round Robin Octave Gate Distributor x4.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 12.57.08 PM.png
    1220 x 1418 - 453K
  • New DiOD filter from Bubblesound Modular with the new uModules https://instagram.com/p/BZ9VjQHgKdd/
  • Another video with all 3 voices going on at once: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ92y-_gn6h/?taken-by=audulus
  • I've been at this all day and I think I've got it all working correctly. I tried several different approaches before I found on that worked. There is a master and a slave unit. Each has a chain in and out. You can chain one master and as many slaves as required. Each has variable steps with a scaling control to determine the range of each step. The number of steps is in the center of the value knob for each step to save space. The note gate goes high at the leading edge of the first clock for each note and drops at the trail edge of the last clock. I’ll make some graphics for it tomorrow.
    uModular Variable Chaining Sequencer.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 9.36.39 PM.png
    1617 x 978 - 347K
  • I like it! very concise inside and exactly as tall as your uTuring Machine.
  • Buchla-inspired gate sequencer - you can input a shape, then rotate the shape. Will make a trigger version of it as well.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 8.49.52 AM.png
    1342 x 1042 - 128K
    Rotating Shape Gate Sequencer Demo.audulus
  • Here's the version of the uSequencer with graphics. I also included a slightly revised text version
    Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 10.39.00 AM.png
    1280 x 1032 - 248K
    uModular Variable Chaining Sequencer.audulus
  • This first one was busted, here's a new much better version. Shape rotate is the knob on the right with its display on the left, and max step is the knob on the left with its display on the right. Seems backwards until you use the knob and realize you can see the response on the others'. Button on the bottom switches between gate and pulse.

5 Step Shape Sequencer Noise Snare Demo.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 10.58.40 AM.png
    906 x 1238 - 257K
  • Here's a new collection - will add ones that others are posting soon! :)
    uModular.zip
  • I like the rotary gate sequencer. I did the same thing with the displays on the variable sequencer.
  • Here's some with updated graphics. I took the m output off of the JFET as it's not of a lot of use.
    uModules - take 3.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 1.04.35 PM.png
    1315 x 962 - 256K
  • @biminiroad, how about yellow for any number? The ASR and other modules aren't really specific about what they will hold. Here's a uShift in yellow.
    uShift yellow.audulus
  • Nice JFET graphic! Yellow gets my vote for numbers :)
  • @biminiroad I like the creativity of transposing the displays so that you can see them when the button is being held down, but it's actually really confusing when I try to use it. Also, why triggers? I can just modulate the PW on the clock as it goes into the sequencer.
  • Took @robertsyrett's advice and switched the displays around, AND i fixed the clock so that it either passes the clock through ("trigger" mode) or holds the gate high in gate mode, so you can now shift the PW of the clock. Much more CPU efficient way anyway, dunno what I was thinking there. Also the current played step in the shape display now flashes.

This is a neat little sequencer that with the right LFO settings on the shape thing can actually add some swing to timing of the gates. However, because of how it's set up, it won't really act chaotically no matter how fast/crazy you spin the shape since the master clock pulse is ultimately the main driver, and the shape is acting more like a mask.

As for yellow for numbers, I'm all about it! Good thinking there.
    5 Step Shape Gate-Trigger Sequencer.audulus
  • Here's a new version - gateable now.
    5 Step Gateable Gate-Trigger Sequencer Demo.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 7.26.18 PM.png
    1338 x 1408 - 487K
    5 Step Gateable Gate-Trigger Sequencer.audulus
  • Sunday Mark is the best Mark.
  • I find all this messing with sequencers has me paying a lot more attention to what happens on the trailing edge of a gate. Most all of my “feedback” issues have stemmed from loops where input switches output switches input which clearly can’t all happen at the same time, although Audulus does its best! I haven’t had much luck with the feedback delay node, but perhaps I’m putting it in the wrong spot. I’m slowly beginning to realize that circuits that work just fine with “real” electronics only do so because of propagation delays. Audulus has been a real learning experience!
  • Here's an example of what the documentation for each module will look like. I'm thinking there will be for some more complicated modules an "external" explanation in a demo form that shows an example use and explanation of controls on the outside, whereas other more simple modules will be documented internally (to avoid having a totally duplicate "documented" library).

I wrote this really quickly so they'll be a little more in depth in the actual versions, but let me know if this makes sense and helps tease out the module.
    5 Step Gate-Trigger Shape Sequencer Documented.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 8.23.50 PM.png
    2880 x 1800 - 510K
    Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 8.23.53 PM.png
    2880 x 1800 - 994K
  • @zjenji lol thanks it's the day I feel the most free to just daydream and do whatever I want, which is usually playing with Audulus lol.

@stschoen - totally! Sequencers are a way to hit a "wall" with Audulus in some mind-bending ways that lead to new discoveries and the underlying realities of programming. I remember it was the delta change detector module where I first learned about the feedback delay and why it's so important. I haven't checked out your sequencers yet but will do on monday! I saw the pic and they look real sweet :)
  • The documentation is perfect. Not too long winded but detailed enough so that I know exactly what the module does. External documentation has the disadvantage of not easily traveling with the module, but can easily reference the UI which is a bit more difficult with text that is internal.
    The sequencer turned out pretty nice once I changed my approach. Before I was using a clock counter and a step counter and a mux to read the number of clocks for each step. Trying to keep everything in sync was a nightmare. After looking at @Experiment1’s design, I realized that I really only needed one counter. Made the whole design much simpler.(and more efficient).
  • @stschoen - thanks! I think I might do some "group" documentation for similar modules - like one doc file for all the LFOs that show the external controls of each and the differences between them. That might make more sense than each one individually.

All this innovation is really inspiring, I feel like we're doing our own little mini Manhattan project, except at the end, we're all going to say "I am become Synth, the destroyer of boredom!"
  • Cool, I know you are supposed to plug gates in there, but is there any reason you couldn't use the new 5-step gateable sequencer as an avant garde mixer?
  • @robertsyrett - I was actually already planning on making that very version of it! :)
  • @biminiroad, this approach is a real boon for the iPad and iPhone. Small, lightweight modules are perfect for the small screen and more modest CPU. We should do some flangers and reverb/chorus type effects. I had a blast running a guitar and lap dulcimer through my iPad with your audio freezer when you released it. I saw you had folders for most of the effects categories. Maybe a uGristleizer.
  • I was inspired by your sub-oscillator, so I thought I'd take a slightly different approach. Instead of inverting the negative and then cutting out every second half-cycle, I cut out every negative half cycle without inverting, and then inverted every second positive cycle to make it negative. Fed the output of that into another stage for 1 and 2 octaves down. Lower knob mixes the two subs and upper knob mixes the subs with the main oscillator. A bit different sound and a nice complement to your original I think
    Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 2.03.21 PM.png
    1612 x 898 - 177K
    Umodular Sub Osc 2.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 2.19.42 PM.png
    1359 x 968 - 175K
  • I’ve been a bit slow in exploring the explosion of activity in this thread in any depth – unfortunately I didn’t have much time last week as it was all happening. But just to say that I find it very inspiring and a huge step forward for Audulus (especially for the iPad). A big thank-you to eveyone that’s contributed thus far!
  • @biminiroad For what it’s worth I’ve found it very useful to have all the modules collected in a single patch. I realize that the collection is getting too large for that, but perhaps it could still be grouped by category – Envelopes, Oscillators etc. The folders work well on a Mac, but on iOS I find the modules much easier to overview when collected in a patch.
  • Ok, here’s my first shot at creating a micro version of my Scale Bender. My main idea was that it could be fun to have the ratio inputs readily available under the hood – that one could open up the module and quickly change the configuration should one want to.

I chose to keep the +- 50 cents knobs on the front panel and placed the 1/o inputs directly under them since they’re the kind of thing one would want to modulate with an LFO, for example. I’ve kept the ratios on the inside of the patch along with the number displays of the deviations in cents. The numbers would have been nice to include on the front, but the problem I ran into was that they take up different amounts of space (-29.7 vs 4, for example) and it quickly starts to get visually messy. The disadvantage of not having them immediately visible is that there’s no indication of the fractions or ratios that might be plugged in underneath.

So perhaps not the most elegant solution, but a start.
    RM µSB (K).audulus
  • New collection - moved around folders, got rid of "utilities" since it's a little opaque. Hopefully the main menu isn't too long/unwieldy. Added some things.
    uModular.zip
  • you might want to put a revision number in the file name. I'm easily confused:)
  • @stschoen - i'll add the date to them!

Here's a new version with octave and fine tune controls added to all VCOs. Also added my revision @robertsyrett's Bermuda oscillator. Also includes some building blocks for building patches.
    uModular 10-10-17.zip
    Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 11.39.27 AM.png
    586 x 940 - 110K
  • Added some more patches, including the k-s oscillator (basically everything in the "unofficial" thread.

212 patches so far! Lots more to add. I'll focus more on adding/adapting what's already built rather than building today. Keep adding more! And remember, there will be a separate version that will preserve the looks of all the original modules as made by the individual contributors.
    uModular 10-10-17b.zip
  • Here's all off them (except for the building ones) in one file
    Collection 10-10-17b.audulus
    2M
    Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 2.23.32 PM.png
    2880 x 1800 - 2M
  • Here's a handy accessory for the Turing machine and anywhere else a flip-flop would be handy. It's a nice way to get longer gates from the pulses output.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 3.15.58 PM.png
    946 x 986 - 168K
    8 way flip-flop.audulus
  • stock-photo-tokyo-japan-march-signs-densely-line-an-alleyway-in-kabuki-cho-the-area-is-a-renown-247901467.jpg
    450 x 320 - 94K
  • @stschoen I actually laughed at the flip flop graphic.
  • @robertsyrett @stschoen - can you both put your latest patches you want in the collection in one file and upload it here? i just want to make sure I have the latest versions of each of them. I already added the stuff in the "unofficial" thread.
  • Also, feel free to start making patches - collections of modules that are great starting points, like this one, which provides a lot of good clocks/gates to use.

If I were starting a song, I'd much rather reach for these mini-patches that would have several modules to get me started than going in and looking for individual modules.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 5.24.02 PM.png
    490 x 1458 - 254K
  • An interesting idea, I must confess I often start with something that looks like this:
    Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 3.32.17 PM.png
    984 x 734 - 160K
    Complete uTuring starting point..audulus
  • @robertsyrett - nice!

@stschoen - here's my take on your take on the uTuring - main change is that instead of max step indicator, the lights go out when they're not a part of the sequence (you'll see).
    uTuring Demo.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 8.54.26 PM.png
    1602 x 1680 - 947K
  • Good idea, even more compact with no loss of function. Did you happen to see the 8 way flip flop? Works well patched into the pulses out to give random length gates.
  • Just played with your version of the Turing module. Very clever way to display the buffer length. It’s always nice to have a fresh pair of eyes look at a design. I do have to say I still prefer the gates for the triggers moved down so you can unhook them.
  • @stschoen - thanks! And yeah I understand, but it'll be something that Taylor can fix eventually, and it's something I'd rather do in preparation for it being that way rather than having to redo every one of those later. It might even be a quick fix, who knows! I'm not bothering him with many feature requests these days though cause I know he's trying to finish his graphics app quickly before Christmas.