uModular Collection Beta
  • @stschoen in the mini system, 0=a?
  • Yes 0=A for the root. It goes from A to A one octave up. I should have stopped it at G# I guess. A minor bug.
  • ty, I got to mess around with a Make N0ise Rene sequencer and it took me a while to figure out it was calibrated to C being the 0 ref frequency so I thought I would double check.
  • @RobertSyrett do you want a gate driving a S&H node on the input of the quantizer so the output only changes state when the gate goes high?
  • Actually it's only 0=A if your oscillator is set that way. The module only generates 1/octave signals so it really doesn't care.
  • Seems pretty good to me the way it is. Slapping a sample and hold to fix the note is something that is easy to whip up and glissando scale sweeps are too much fun! However, having all the scaled stored inside the quantizer would be nice. Even though typing random numbers into the scale input is kind of fun.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 9.15.58 PM.png
    999 x 919 - 174K
  • I could put the demux back in and just have a knob, but I thought this way you could mask whatever notes you wanted just by changing numbers. Personally, I prefer the larger version.
  • Going to sleep now - count up to 75, not including some of the ones posted here.

uModular Collection v10.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 12.30.05 AM.png
    2880 x 1800 - 1M
  • Woohoo! I do hope I get the chance to make some more of these tomorrow.
  • Wow. This thread escalated quickly.
  • v11 with a minisynth and moar sequencers
    uModular Collection v11.audulus
    1M
    Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 1.13.25 PM.png
    1938 x 1386 - 814K
  • Here's my latest contribution. A Turing machine, analog shift register, 4 way S&H, and a scale and offset for 1/octave signals. I removed the Volts add-on and simplified the internals of the Turing machine. The ASR has a gate-able loop control which will loop the contents of the register. I also included a slightly modified version of the quantizer. I decided to replace the add node for gate-able toggles with an XOR. That way if the toggle is high, a high gate will bring it low and if the toggle is low, a high gate will bring it high.
    10/4/17 file revised see below
    Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 1.20.09 PM.png
    1213 x 747 - 209K
  • @biminiroad Love to see how this is filling out. I would love to see more of the user minified versions of modules in the pack. Especially the really small stschoen quantizer and the JDRaoul Euclidean Seq. The minified versions of the crossfade would help out that lonely 5x1 mixer that's all by itself. I know this next thing is a quibble, but the diode clipper can't actually attenuate, it is a waveshaper like the wave folder.

@stschoen The uTuring machine looks great! It might become my most used version. The scale and offset look a little wide for the rest of the modules but I'm glad you made the official one because I was hacking the att/off module to do the same thing so I definitely will be using it :)

Also there I noticed that there isn't an LED on the audio output of the PM osc, so I added that and a few other things to this miscellaneous group of submissions.
    miscellanious uModular.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 11.31.16 AM.png
    1793 x 1031 - 239K
  • @RobertSyrett - Oh I'll definitely include those I was just on a train of thought just added the few I was thinking about. I'm going to change the look around so they match the aesthetic of the main library, but perhaps as a compromise we can have a separate sub-library that is all the user-contributed modules with their original UIs? The diode clipper is there to remind me to make it into a VCA...it's a work in progress :)

Thanks for the new modules, keep 'em coming!
  • Since we have 75 already and soooo many more modules to adapt/part out/rearrange, I think we can shoot for an ambitious collection of 500 patches that are all documented inside each module, well sorted and categorized, and that will be a major new release to Audulus, perhaps coinciding with the new ability in iOS11 to use the files management system for faster organization (I think Taylor's going to do that for 3? not sure, maybe he was saving the browser overhaul for 4). Anyway, the bigger more impressive we make it, the more chance it has of getting on blogs like Synthtopia as a news item, which means more sales, which drives $$ for new developments for you, and drives new users to the forum to make more patches. It's a perfect closed system lol!
  • @robertsyrett just saw that viva umodular patch very nice!
  • Give me a second I'll redo all the via's
  • Here's the last one for the day. I've been working on a model of the JFET with the intent to add it to a clone of the gristleizer. The effect is somewhat subtle, but it's based on the transfer function of a saturated JFET. The final equation has terms to more or less normalize the gain and offset. Lotsa second order harmonic distortion. There are two outputs one is labeled a and has a DC blocker internally and peak detection. The one labeled m is the raw output and can have a significant DC component. I included it mainly for using with the waveform display.

10/5/17 - file updated - see below
    Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 6.26.22 PM.png
    1227 x 763 - 118K
  • I never noticed, but reverse via's are a little wider for some reason, even though they have the same spacing of elements.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 3.37.59 PM.png
    699 x 1002 - 94K
    uFlipflip uVias.audulus
  • Wow! Jfet city! Man, I'm on that.
  • @stschoen VERY nice! Thank you for that!

@robertsyrett - they're wider because of the little blank space that is the label - it's basically a space placeholder.

So I'm finally at the point where I'm having to split them up by genre because CPU usage is too high just sitting there...working on clocks/sequencers at the moment.

uModular Collection - Clocks + Sequencers v1.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 6.52.10 PM.png
    1148 x 1682 - 396K
  • Big v11 broke 100! I lost track right at the end I think it might be 104. The ones at the top are things that have been posted here but I haven't formatted yet.

How do people feel about a "my aesthetic" version with a separate "user aesthetic" version of the same modules, but kept in a separate folder? I really would like the overall collection to be super unified, but I don't want to claim the way I lay them out is "better" - it just will be all part and parcel with the collection and how the modules are "read" by people. If I use another "scare" quote in this post I'm going to "scream."
    uModular Collection v11.audulus
    2M
    Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 7.02.24 PM.png
    1560 x 1676 - 583K
  • It was bound to happen eventually. Still it is a portentous omen that you can have like 75 modules open.

I'm working on adapting @Experiment1's chainable sequencer into an 4-step version. I'm curious, are you going for an all blinking lights aesthetic with the sequencers?
  • Regarding aesthetic unity, yes, there is no better. I'm fine with you being the curator of your own project. I'm viewing myself as making submissions, offering suggestions (perhaps too frequently). I know that some of the things you're omitting are being added back into each version, but that makes my copy my own. I think it is a good compromise to make all the submissions available as it is a neat part of the project.
  • @robertsyrett - oh I can still have them open and work fine, I just can't watch TV at the same time as I build and that's critical for my endurance in this lol!

As for blinking lights - not sure what you mean? But here's the general design principles I've been working with for sequencers:

if only one sequence
    current step = red
    max step = blue
    min step = green

if several sequences on same sequencer
    2nd is blue
    3rd is green
    4th is purple
    5th is white
    6th is yellow
    ...others TBD

an exception to the red = modulation rule is made in this case to allow the color coding of the sequences

value of current step (for random sequencers) = RGB green
  • @robertsyrett - no no, comment away! i really really appreciate everyone's help on this, it's very inspiring and i hope more lurkers join in! no matter how small you may think your contribution is, we can all build this thing together :)

I'm saying eff the 500 mark, let's go for 1k modules!
  • btw, don't bother necessarily making every random node have a different seed - when the collection is "finished" (ready for release) i'll go through methodically in every random sequencer/clock/etc and make sure it has a unique seed.
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 4.27.09 PM.png
    844 x 721 - 164K
  • @robertsyrett - yes, and the light directly in the middle of the knob too.

Also, no meters that would be occluded by the button (no values inside a knob). You can't read them until you let go of the knob. I'd like some of my designs to be tighter, but I move them down further so you can still read the meters (see the clock divider, for example).
  • Well I tried to put the step lengths outside the buttons, but it made the sequencer much too wide or long. I'm hoping there is room for an exemption for the numbers in the knobs as those numbers are really more important when your finger is off the button and the total length below shows how many steps you are adding/removing when you move the knob. But let me know what you think.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 5.20.42 PM.png
    967 x 944 - 232K
    Experiment1 Chainable seq converted to uModular.audulus
  • v2 of clocks and sequencers
    uModular Collection - Clocks+Sequencers v2.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 8.26.07 PM.png
    1610 x 958 - 380K
  • Wow, simultaneous post! Ok, I'm off to see Roedelius in concert. I'm sure I'll be back before long.
  • Just had to...
    Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 8.40.56 PM.png
    1942 x 934 - 176K
  • @robertsyrett - nice! have fun :)
  • u r offline for some days and there are 82 comments in 1 post haahaaa
    just a little coment from my side.... its nice to get some small new modules :D

the rest i will read and download later on... thanks everyone to contribute!! :)

btw i know it has nothing to do with this post but i m hoping for an update soonish!! windows user waited already a looooonnnng time :D

• @RobertSyrett have a good time! I realized that some of my modules were a bit wide, so here's a revision.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 10.25.04 PM.png
    1212 x 986 - 249K
    uModules - take 2.audulus
  • @stschoen loving your JFET! turned it into a VCA - check it out. You can even a/b it againt a linear VCA to hear how it colors the sound.

green flash = hard clip - if you want to prevent hard clip, dial back the CV amount to the VCA.

@Phal_anx - yes, I know windows users are hurting - Taylor's just in the home stretch for this other app he's working on and he's scrambling to get it finished before the holidays. I'll let him know that even if the update just included the new SVG support people would be happy!

uModular Collection - VCFs VCAs + Mixers v1.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 10.40.13 PM.png
    1354 x 1088 - 361K
  • I'm not kidding here when I say I honestly believe Audulus sonically is rivaling my Eurorack rig. I'll do more comparisons, but especially with this tubey-transistory non-linear stuff, it's just sounding awesome. Once we get super sampling it will be even better. Really impressed with everyone's work here!
  • @biminiroad, love the jfet VCA. It took me a lot longer to get the JFET model working than I thought. The basic equation isn’t too complex, but I wanted something with close to unity gain and zero offset. My math skills are pretty rusty at this point and I kept making stupid mistakes. It’s pretty close now but I still might have a crack at simplifying it a bit more, once my brain has recovered. There’s a constant node internally that lets you vary the exponent in the equation. It’s roughly 2 but varies a bit in real devices. When it’s not exactly 2, it introduces some third order harmonics so you might want to fine tune it a bit. I tried to pick some values for the various coefficients that would resemble a real device. I intended it for a gristleizer clone, but it’s neat on its own.
  • @Phal_anx, yeah this thread blew up. I was cat sitting with my windows laptop this past week and it was kind of eye opening how much has changed on iOS and mac vs windows/linux. I look forward to the new apps but I definitely hope the windows version gets some love soon.
  • Compare the tube vs. JFET vs. diode VCAs with this collection! Also a fun suboscillator oscillator. There's also a feedback control for the audio on the SEM filter to FM the cutoff like I love doing with my real euro modular.

The tube VCA has both negative (0.5 to 0) and positive (0.5 to 1) feedback.

uModular Collection - VCFs VCAs + Mixers v2.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 10.41.58 AM.png
    1476 x 948 - 325K
  • I've worked a bit more on the JFET simulation and I think I've made some progress. I doubt you'll hear much difference, but the equations are a bit cleaner and I've improved the DC offset. The gain and offset are dependent on the input level as well as the bias, so it's difficult to null them out without affecting the overall sound. Actually, in a real single-ended JFET stage (gristlizer) the output is typically AC coupled to the next stage, so the DC blocker is a pretty close fit.
    uJFET 2.audulus
  • @stschoen The JFET is looking pretty refined. It definitely sounds a lot like a guitar amp.

@biminiroad We got a whole palette of distortion now, from sounding like an old mixing board to crazy portland noise fest tube amp.
  • Here are a few more uModular submissions.

uBurst is a gate burst generator for making bouncing ball and drum fill type of patterns.
    uHandDrum is actually @stschoen's conga/bongo/timbale patch just made more vertical.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 12.19.58 PM.png
    1127 x 979 - 263K
  • Here's uPeng! as well, since it offers 1/o tracking and FM in a simple plucked sound.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 1.03.08 PM.png
    1785 x 862 - 374K
    uPeng.audulus
  • @Robertsyrett - nice! I think you forgot to submit the uBurst thing though...
  • @RobertSyrett, the JFET has characteristics very similar to a triode vacuum tube so it's not too surprising that they sound similar. The main differences are really more to do with the output transformer required for tubes, power supply etc. I used to work for Sony many years ago, and at one point they made a stereo amp with a JFET power stage. I had one for years and it really sounded great. The downside was four supply rails, and a very complex circuit design. If anything went wrong the JFETs would usually self-destruct and it made for a very expensive repair. Kinda wish I'd kept it, but the switches, pots etc. were getting pretty worn.
  • This is getting positively massive. I like the minimal design, but I do have to say that many of the modules are pretty cryptic. Internal documentation would be a big help in deciphering exactly what they do. (i know, I know, writing docs is never much fun :( )
  • Thought I would see if a "mu" symbol would make it onto the forum. Sad to say, not only does it not appear, it blanks out the rest of the post. This was a seemingly blank post that I couldn't figure out how to delete.
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 1.44.09 PM.png
    802 x 346 - 114K