Matrix Cross Gate & Modulation Sequencers
  • New variations on matrix sequencers! The naming convention for matrix sequencers is (length)x(width)x(outputs), so these are 4 knobs/buttons wide, 4 knobs/buttons tall, and have 9 total outputs.

Gate Cross 4x4x10 Matrix Sequencer

This gate sequencer uses a 4x4 grid of buttons to create a total of 10 sequences.

Each row and column is its own individual 4 step sequencer. There are 4 x-axis sequencers and 4 y-axis sequencers.

The x sequencers are stepped at the x gate input. Their current steps are highlighted with a red light. When the current step is on (button = red), the x clock passes to the row’s output. When the current step is off (button = blue), the clock does not pass, acting like a step skip. The pulse width of the clock is preserved as it goes through the sequencer.

The y sequencers are stepped at the y gate input. Their current steps are highlighted with a blue light. When the current step is on (button = red), the y clock passes to the row’s output. When the current step is off (button = blue), the clock does not pass, acting like a step skip. The pulse width of the clock is preserved as it goes through the sequencer.

At the x and y output, the gate will go high only when three conditions are met: the x input gate is high AND the y input gate is high; and the (x,y) coordinate point is located on a step that is on (button = red).

At the x or y output, the gate will go high when some conditions are met: the x input gate is high OR the y input gate is high; and the (x,y) coordinate point is located on a step that is on (button = red).

Modulation Cross 4x4x9 Matrix Sequencer

This modulation sequencer uses a 4x4 grid of knobs to create a total of 9 sequences.

Each row and column is its own individual 4 step sequencer. There are 4 x-axis sequencers and 4 y-axis sequencers.

The x sequencers are stepped at the x gate input. Their current steps are highlighted in red. Their 0 to 1 modulation signal outputs are also red.

The y sequencers are stepped at the y gate input. Their current steps are highlighted in blue. Their 0 to 1 modulation signal outputs are also blue.

At the (x,y) output, where the x sequencer and y sequencer overlap is outputted as a 0 to 1 modulation signal, colored in purple.
    Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 6.54.35 PM.png
    908 x 1336 - 276K
    Matrix Cross 4x4x9 Modulation Sequencer.audulus
    Matrix Cross Sequencers Demo.audulus
    Matrix Cross 4x4x9 Gate Sequencer.audulus
  • Here's a bleepy bloopy patch to hear what they sound like together. Try adjusting the Y clock to different speeds - you'll hear that the kick drum stays in one time, but the melody changes over it. It's an interesting study in polyrhythms.
    Matrix Cross Sequencers Demo 2.audulus
    Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 9.51.41 PM.png
    1934 x 1166 - 596K
  • An interesting approach to adding some complexity to sequences. I particularly like demo 2.
  • Made a new modulation one with @stschoen's counter - still needs some tweaks, but here it is for now!
    Modulation Cross 4x4x9 Matrix Sequencer v2.audulus
  • Here's a demo of it in action - uses the 4 x outputs for a stabby chord, 4 y outputs for a pad chord, then the xy output for the lead, plus a kick drum by @stschoen

This will almost certainly only run on your Mac, as it has 9 polyphony with 9 analog modelling filters and VCAs, plus the kick oscillators, so just beware. The sequencer itself is actually not very CPU-hungry, and the quantizer version I'm using by stschoen is an old one that's not as optimized.

If you can't open it on your device, here's a video of it: https://www.instagram.com/p/BfykzoKAL80/?taken-by=audulus

The sound is a little distorted, but I didn't have a chance to rerecord it! Next time :)
    Modulation Cross 4x4x9 Matrix Sequencer v2 DEMO.audulus
    1M
    Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 1.00.18 PM.png
    1974 x 1738 - 884K
    Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 1.00.34 PM.png
    2880 x 1800 - 1M
  • @stschoen - here's your counter at work
  • Killer demo. I was playing with the sequencer when I saw your post. Don't think I'll post mine (lol). I did make some SVG graphics for the unit. I think it looks pretty cool so I thought I would add a few icons.
    Modulation Cross 4x4x9 Matrix Sequencer v2 with SVG.audulus
    Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 1.49.14 PM.png
    1464 x 2038 - 367K
  • I will connect this to a tiltatron and see if it works with my vintage iPad.