Connecting MIDI designer to Audulus with coreMIDI.
  • Does anyone here use MIDI Designer on iOS?

I have no experience with MIDI and am utterly bewildered.

I know that the MIDI Designer can see Audulus, but how the blistering heck do I make a button in MD activate a trigger in Audulus, or a knob in MD control a constant in Audulus?

• Hey Gordon, I don't have MIDI Designer, but you'll want to set up a MIDI Control Change ("MIDI CC") message to control a knob in Audulus. In Audulus, you'll select "Learn MIDI CC" from a Knob's context menu. Then switch to MD and have the trigger send a CC message. Once a message is sent, Audulus will assign that CC to the knob.

A midi CC message has a number and a value. The number is used to determine which knob to change, and the value is the new value for the knob.

Does that help?
    - Taylor
  • It does. Now buttons and knobs work. :-) But not well. :-(. I am multiplying a fixed frequency synth by a constant beaten 0 and 2 into an output, and turning the associated MD knob to attenuate the volumes does work, but if I turn it at anything other than very slowly it crackles.

I'm using an iPad Mini, most recent OS.

• Try adding in a LowPass node (Effects -> LowPass) with the knob set to something very close to 1 (like .999) to smooth out the CC data. So you'd map the CC to a knob on a constant node, then put the output through the LowPass, then use that output to modulate the Level node's knob. Does that help?
  • Ah, I had put in a low pass filter and set it to 0.99 on the dial, because I remembered reading about it on a forum thread, but that wasn't enough. 0.999 improved it, and with 0.9999 it's silky smooth.

Thank you. Now I can build control panels for my patches. :-)
  • Great, glad its working :-) I've made a note about improving the smoothing of MIDI CC values. Audulus should just do that automatically. In the last version, I fixed the smoothing when turning knobs via the UI, but didn't fix CCs!

Sorry about that and I'll have it fixed by the next version!

cheers
    - Taylor

• Minor update. Having tried the free version of MIDI designer, I bought TouchOSC, it's better.

User interface for Audulus patches, check.. :-)
  • I have both Midi Designer and TouchOSC, but haven't tried the latter yet. I do love Midi Designer though, and have used it to provide a live control surface to Audulus exactly as described above (among other things in my sonic universe).
  • Hi, I'm the author of MIDI Designer.

Gordon, I'm glad you found an ally in TouchOSC. Would you mind sharing how it's better, please? Thanks.

Best!
    Dan
  • Hey, Dan—

First off, let me say your app looks absolutely beautiful. Gorgeous UI!

As long as you're here, though, I'd like to ask your honest opinion of how your app stacks up against some other customizable control surface apps. I can only spend so much money as a student, so before I get your MDPro (which I'm tempted to do!), I need to know if it does much more than what I've already got:

TouchOSC
    TBMIDIstuff
    BeatSurfing
    MIDIme
    MIDI Control
    Instrumental (this needs to be wired, and is a PITA. Pretty, though.)

I know this is the question every dev dreads, but what does MDPro offer that these don't?

~od
  • Hi Dan. Probably I should have said it suits me better. Both fulfil my requirements, I was just more comfortable using the TouchOSC UI - it seemed more intuitive to me.

G
  • @mididesigner Dan, welcome to the Audulus forum, sweet app and good to have you here :-).

cheers
    - Taylor
  • I use TouchOSC and Midi designer pro with Audulus on iPad 4. Both works, but in Midi designer you do not need to run any additional app on mac or laptop to built midi controller. All you need is an iPad, Audulus and MidiDesigner. However both TouchOSC and MD makes cracle when turning knobs faster. It looks like midi data buffer overload. Good news it works much better with other hardware midi controller, for example Keith Mc'Millen Softstep or Korg nanokontrol. But not perfect.