Help File Value Added
  • Hey @ZenLizard, there's this book, which is written for the Nord Modular but the ideas translate over to other modular systems such as Audulus:

http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmodularbook/nm_book_toc.html

I've updated the Audulus documentation page to try to be better about stating the units of inputs and outputs:

http://audulus.com/documentation/

Could you let me know if I've missed any?

cheers
    - Taylor
  • All good.
    One of the ways I learned to figure out what a node does is to use the metering nodes.
    I'll hook Osc, math, and other nodes up, running the Osc very slowly (set its default pitch to1) and the watch what values I get in the value and waveform meter nodes.
  • That's great advice. I had been using the three types of meters whenever I came across something that didn't work like I expected, or that was confusing me, but based on your comment, I spent today sticking all three meter types at every new output as I built my learning experiments, and I've learned all kinds of useful things as a result.

I'm still having some seriously confusing issues though, like why is it I can use an oscillator to modulate a filter effect and the output audio sounds fine, but when I try to use an ADSR to control the very same filter, inputting the very same number value ranges to the filter (using a little math to upconvert the values, and Level nodes to reign in the amplitude), the output audio suddenly sounds like a broken Commodore 64?
  • Hmm, sounds weird?
    Can you post that patch up here?
  • Absolutely. I'll do it later on today. It will be good to have someone explain to me what I'm doing wrong.
  • @ZenLizard, make sure you are you using the 'velocity in' and the 'value' out on the ADSR node not the 'In' and the 'Out' to modulate the filter. The velocity input will take a value of 1 to trigger it so use either a trigger or the keyboard node. The value out will then output a range of values from 0 to 1 that correspond to the envelope shape.
  • @ZenLizard - I too have had issues like this that I've been able to figure out using the metering. I chalk this all up to learning curve - which for me as a guitarist might be a bit steeper than many on this board - but one thing to always keep in the back of your mind, is to be very ready to break any apparent rules that might be implicit in a tutorial. One of the things I love about Audulus is that you can hook up anything to anything, and being willing to color outside the lines brings with it many possibilities!
  • @ZenLizard, it should work using a single keyboard node as long as you are using the envelopes in parallel. What you describe should work so not sure whats going wrong. Can you upload a patch or a screenshot?

To invert you need to simply subtract the input value from the maximum value: inverted = 1 - input if you are working in a 0-1 range. For example if you want a constant dial to go from 1 to 0 you feed its output into input 'b' of a sub node and put a value of 1 into input 'a'.

Also some great advice from @erikbojerik and @dcramer, I use metering extensively when building patches.
  • @afta8 — I uploaded the screenshot for now. I haven't figured out how to upload Audulus patches directly from the iPad, and I dont currently have a computer to use. This is the patch with the second keyboard added, which works fine. with only one keyboard it totally trashes the sound. I'll upload both versions of the patch here when I can borrow a computer.
    image.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 133K
  • @ZenLizard, it trashes the sound because you have the first keyboard on poly mode and this is sending lots of trigger signals to the filter envelope, the second keyboard approach works because that is on legato mode. If you want to use only one keyboard then try putting a PolyToMono node before the input on the filter envelope, however there is nothing wrong with using two keyboard nodes as you have done.

This has caught me out a few times as well!
  • Ah! Thank you for the explanation. And for refreshing my memory on inverting the numbers. It's been a very long time since I've needed to do so... I guess I need to resharpen my math skills.
  • You're welcome :)

I have to say since staring with Audulus my interest in maths skills has massively increased, I think its the first time i've really had to apply some of the things I learnt back in school all that time ago! As always Google is your best friend here, it is quite satisfying once you crack a problem...

Another tip (if you are getting into your maths) is to use a spreadsheet, if you know your input and what you want the output to be then spreadsheets can be quite useful for figuring out the formulas, once you have a formula it is easy to translate into Audulus nodes.
  • I will often use multiple keyboard nodes for exactly that reason- the ability to have some run poly, some mono, and some with or without velocity.
  • @Dcramer – In that situation, how does Audulus "know" which keyboard is controlled by the on-screen performance keys and external keyboard?
  • They all are as far as I can tell, they just interpret what you play on the pop up keyboard with the settings for each keyboard. This lets you send both variable velocity or fixed velocity to two different places. You can set multiple keyboards to different midi channels though, to creat multi timbal patches.
  • Interesting. I just connected two simple subtractive synths with very different timbres into a crossfader and out, changed one keyboard node to poly, and it is as you say... one voice plays in chords and the other is only playing one note at a time. It's and interesting effect. I don't think I've ever come across a synth or softsynth that will do that. Of course, I haven't had the oportunity to work with that many.