For New Users: Audulus Quick Tips
  • I'm doing a series of short "Quick Tip" videos for new Audulus users. Here's the first one (just taken with my iPhone):

If you have suggestions for topics, please let me know. More videos coming soon!

cheers
    - Taylor
  • Three things I'd like to see

1. Some quick video tutorials of the more obscure nodes describing what the intention was and showing them in some practical applications.

2. The building of higher level patches, LFO's, envelopes, sequencers that beginners could drop into their own creations and bolt together to get fast simple results.

3. Linked to the above some simple useful modulation examples such as setting the sequencer within a patch to create a fast simple tempo based step unit.

The difficulty you have in pitching the information is that modular environments attract two very different groups of people. One group that are competent in the technical detail and produce fantastic and refined creations and another that want to hack some bits and pieces together in a simple fashion to get a quick result. I'm assuming its the later, in which I include myself, that you're aiming at here?!

Look forward to seeing what you come up with!
  • Cool video, on the iPad it's important for users to know that the level of zoom controls the UI accessibility somewhat.
    The other critical topic would be signal types such as -1 to 1 versus hertz, that stumps most new users.
  • Input output ranges of the nodes would be useful. I can't remember reading it in the App help (not saying its not there!) so it was trial and error for a while.
  • @Skipp, good points! I'll do a series of videos describing various nodes.

@Dcramer, here's the next video, which discusses units in the context of modulating the filter:

• I learned something on this one! I'd not noticed that you could set the range on the constant module so I've be adding maths modules to each one....doh

Should save me some time :)
  • Expanding this example to show how the filter can be controlled by a midi controller and then adding some modules to smooth the controller data and reduce zipper noise would be really useful as this could then be applied to midi control of any parameter.
  • Sweet, this will be big help for new users.
    I've also found that you can clean up the filter sound by biasing the low hertz values to keep the filter from closing to much. If it closes to far you can get thumps and bumps that can mess with your synth tones. I'll often mix an ADSR signal with a keyboard signal to keep the filter from dropping to far or pass the whole audio signal through a final hi pass to keep very low frequencies out.
  • @Dcramer, thanks for that tip with the ADSR, thats quite handy..

Also with regards to the video on modulating filters, I made a handy little sub patch (attached) which takes care of the number conversion for you. You set a min and max value on the sub patch, and then connect a constant node to the input which will interpolate between the set values. It is equivalent to setting the min & max values on the constant node.
    Interpolate.audulus